Gravity flow feed bins

Help Support CattleToday:

jbar

Reaction score
Look for plans to build out of plywood and lumber. Any ideas where to look i googled but had no luck.

I'd venture to say you'd be better off finding and buying a used metal or poly bin after your time and material costs

thanks for replys there close to what i had in mind,as for cost lumber and pywood is cheep right now and my labor has always been cheep but then again you get what you pay for. :lol:

I've been thinking of building a small one to hold my calf feed. Unfortunately it takes time and that is something I always seem to be short of. I think the materials would be relatively cheap compared to buying a bin because these smaller bins are very expensive. I haven't found a hopper bottom that will hold a few ton priced under $2000. In fact I needed an 8 ton bin to hold my premix for the milking cow ration so I went to buy a steel one from the local manufacturer. They wanted over $4000 for an 8 ton bin. I got lucky and found one at an auction sale that I landed for $2600. Still very expensive but it was better than buying new. I have seen the plastic bins made by PolyDome. A 6.5 ton bin was $1900 the last time I looked. After you add the extras you'd likely be close to $2500. I've decided that if I had the time I would build rather than buy. You can buy a lot of materials for $1000 and you'd still have spent less than half of what it would cost to go out and buy the bin. Let us know if you do make one jbar. I would be interested to see how you ended up making and some pics would also be great.

novaman":2nqg0f6r said:
I haven't found a hopper bottom that will hold a few ton priced under $2000. In fact I needed an 8 ton bin to hold my premix for the milking cow ration so I went to buy a steel one from the local manufacturer. They wanted over $4000 for an 8 ton bin. I got lucky and found one at an auction sale that I landed for $2600. Still very expensive but it was better than buying new. I have seen the plastic bins made by PolyDome. A 6.5 ton bin was $1900 the last time I looked. After you add the extras you'd likely be close to $2500.

Lots of cheap galvanized bins here, but most need some repair... I like Poly dome better but they are not common used and more expensive new. The horse people seem to favor them. Once I finish my corral building I will have to look again.

Meanwhile I bought a gravity box with a roll up cover for $800 plus two tires. It is a MN 250 on an 8T JD wagon. Not pretty but the cattle seem to like it and it is very portable. I made a "grain train" last year for seasonal supplementation at turn out. I roped all my portable bunks to it, and towed them herd and all into the next paddock . This stopped traffic several times. :cboy:

If there are any old and closed down turkey/chicken farms around check to see if they have any to get to rid of.

dun":do7rbhj4 said:
If there are any old and closed down turkey/chicken farms around check to see if they have any to get to rid of.
None around that I know of. Problem is, around here anyway, everybody has cattle so they all want a hopper bottom bin to put some feed in. Used bins at auction sales will often bring new price if they aren't beat up. People are just nutz over them anymore. There is a local company that builds them and they can't keep an inventory on hand. Everybody is converting from standard steel bins to hopper bottoms and for good reason.

novaman":e39tmekn said:
There is a local company that builds them and they can't keep an inventory on hand. Everybody is converting from standard steel bins to hopper bottoms and for good reason.

I have thought about that for storing a semi load of by product... What kind of money do they get for a new hopper bottom?

Stocker Steve":2xxz2cwn said:
novaman":2xxz2cwn said:
There is a local company that builds them and they can't keep an inventory on hand. Everybody is converting from standard steel bins to hopper bottoms and for good reason.

I have thought about that for storing a semi load of by product... What kind of money do they get for a new hopper bottom?
I haven't priced any out lately. I know a while back a 4000 bushel was 15. I'm thinking for one that would handle a semi load it would be in that 10 range but can say with no certainty.

Stocker Steve":14bef5zv said:
novaman":14bef5zv said:
I haven't found a hopper bottom that will hold a few ton priced under $2000. In fact I needed an 8 ton bin to hold my premix for the milking cow ration so I went to buy a steel one from the local manufacturer. They wanted over $4000 for an 8 ton bin. I got lucky and found one at an auction sale that I landed for $2600. Still very expensive but it was better than buying new. I have seen the plastic bins made by PolyDome. A 6.5 ton bin was $1900 the last time I looked. After you add the extras you'd likely be close to $2500.

Lots of cheap galvanized bins here, but most need some repair... I like Poly dome better but they are not common used and more expensive new. The horse people seem to favor them. Once I finish my corral building I will have to look again.

Meanwhile I bought a gravity box with a roll up cover for $800 plus two tires. It is a MN 250 on an 8T JD wagon. Not pretty but the cattle seem to like it and it is very portable. I made a "grain train" last year for seasonal supplementation at turn out. I roped all my portable bunks to it, and towed them herd and all into the next paddock . This stopped traffic several times. :cboy:

We NEED to see pictures of that! You can't leave us all hanging like that. :p

Latest posts