Grasshoppers

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow , that stinks. I would love to hear about some experiences with pesticides to control them. We have them my way also. I just thought it was something we just had to deal with.

30ac? wow tht sux losing the hay but seriously is there a way to capture grasshoppers and sell off to like a company that distributes them to bait shops? I have never heard of that type of grass but im guessing we dont have it in va. With spraying for grass hoppers is the pesticide ok for the cattle? How many grasshoppers are needed to wipe out 30 ac?

Brute 23":2wmp1p78 said:
We are getting all kinds of conflicting stuff on how to handle them. If its not drought... its hogs... or apparently grasshoppers. :( Where is that Would you reccomend... thread.

No kidding, that sucks. We have army worms around here from time to time. I haven't heard much about them this year. Last year they got some hay close to us and then coupled with the drought and the pi$$ poor production it hurt!

They are every where here in Brown co just like last year. I think you can kill em w pesticide but you can't eradicate them unless you sprayed the whole area. They just repopulate soon after spraying. Maybe the 107 degree temps that are predicted this week will suffer them but I doubt it...

I used 3 oz of lambda-cy and 1 oz of Dimilin per acre along with my herbicide when the hoppers were little. No grazing restrictions. The secret is to spray before they get big. Once they get some size, the grasshoppers can eat a good bit of forage. 8 grasshoppers per sq. yard justifies treatment.

Here is a label for lambda: http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/Lambda-Cy.pdf

BC":22mm0df0 said:
I used 3 oz of lambda-cy and 1 oz of Dimilin per acre along with my herbicide when the hoppers were little. No grazing restrictions. The secret is to spray before they get big. Once they get some size, the grasshoppers can eat a good bit of forage. 8 grasshoppers per sq. yard justifies treatment.

Here is a label for lambda: http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/Lambda-Cy.pdf

Works well on armyworms too and the Dimilin gives it a longer residual.

Latest posts