Grasshoppers

Help Support CattleToday:

banekar

Reaction score
What is everyone using this year for grasshoppers? They are terrible right now. Looking to use Liquid Seven. Considered Prevathon, but it is extremely expensive.

We ranch in Luling and Waelder. Last year we used Liquid Seven, just wondering if there was anything new out.

I sprayed Lambda-cyhalothrin last year for stem maggots and it did a good job on grasshoppers also. Some of them didn't make it back to the fence row before they were dead.

banekar":zfxettgi said:
We ranch in Luling and Waelder. Last year we used Liquid Seven, just wondering if there was anything new out.
I've been using some liquid sevin too....last time I used Cyper WD. A bit expensive but is basically the same as the Demon I use around the house (same active ingredient and concentration). Kills them graveyard dead in just afew minutes. Only sprayed a 20 foot strip about every 70-80 feet and it did the job.

I am only finding the Cyper WD in 1 lb containers. Who are you buying from? I use Demon around the house also and know that it works better than anything else I have tried.

grabbing them and throwing them in a garden spider web is cheap and fun but you won't put much of a dent in the grasshopper population

banekar":3bqf44xg said:
I am only finding the Cyper WD in 1 lb containers. Who are you buying from? I use Demon around the house also and know that it works better than anything else I have tried.
banekar that's all I could find but bit the bullet and bought 3 cans. Made 75 gallons. It was that are lose all the grass. Most were still young and small.

There are two schools of thought on insect control. Use a highly toxic material with little or no residual effect to knock down all the bugs quickly or use a less toxic, but more persistent material. Organophosphate and Carbamate insecticides provide quick kills. The newer Nicotinoid and Pyrethroid materials are much safer, less toxic and provide some residual control. The old and now banned Chlorinated hydrocarbon/Chlorcyclodine materials were both highly toxic and extremely persistent. In the old days we used Parathion, Furadan, etc. to kill them all quickly. We killed off all the bugs and whatever non-target small mammals were present, as well. No one wants to kill bunnies and quail, but it did the job. We no longer have those highly toxic materials. The closest you can get in an organophosphate is Lorsban (chlorpyrifos). In a Carbamate we still have Sevin. However, we have a host of perethroid materials that are safe and low toxicity. The problem with the safer materials is you tend to kill off the beneficial insects or predators to the pest insects due to the persistence factor. Occasional visitors like honey bees can carry those persistent materials back to the hive, because the bee survived initial contact in the field. In most cases you are better off with the quick kill and short residual. So I recommend Sevin or Lorsban.

We have a lot of wild turkeys, but they are no match for the grasshoppers this year. Going to go with the Liquid Seven tomorrow. Just found out that most of the Herbicides are restricted, I guess I will have to look into getting an applicator license now. Thanks for the comments.

banekar":9h50tk20 said:
We have a lot of wild turkeys, but they are no match for the grasshoppers this year. Going to go with the Liquid Seven tomorrow. Just found out that most of the Herbicides are restricted, I guess I will have to look into getting an applicator license now. Thanks for the comments.

All the people who put out fert and weed killer will spray for grasshoppers.

BC":2ece8m43 said:
I use lambda cy and add 1 oz. dimpling. Mix with my herbicide and get weeds and grasshoppers in one pass.
That should have been dimilin . It is an insect growth regulator that gets the little ones that hatch after the lambda gets the live ones.

Pablo,
Luling Feed store can get it for you. We didn't get it because of the price, over $400 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug. Went ahead and got the Liquid Seven in Flatonia. Best price was a Mica's.

I didn't know that you could mix the Herbicide and Insecticide together. Or do you have a double tank sprayer or dry/wet sprayer?

I spray for weeds and insects all in one pass. My sprayer is calibrated to put out 18 gallons/acre. I put in the rate of 2 to 3 ozs/acre of lambda, 1 oz per acre of Dimilin (for the grasshoppers) and 1 qt/acre of Weedmaster for weeds.