Grasshoppers

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech

Reaction score
I just read this in a Cattletoday article.
A recent check on insecticides indicated that grasshopper control could be obtained for $2.50 to $4.46 an acre. This is an important aspect since grasshopper infestations are typically higher during the dry conditions (in Texas) many are experiencing presently and as few as 10 hoppers per square meter can consume up to 60 percent of the available forage. The same is true of fall army worm infestations; they can consume essentially all of the available forage overnight if left untreated. Therefore, good pest management is essential for maintaining a healthy, vigorous stand of forage that will meet the production enterprise goals and objectives, and the cost is still affordable. Remember, forage is a terrible thing to waste.
Does anybody know what the most economical insecticide is for grasshoppers?

Search Mustang Max in any browser.

I don't know anything about it other than that is what my crop serviced used. No armyworm or grasshoppers after treatment Saturday a week ago.

Malathion and Sevin should get them too but might not keep em out as long.

novatech":1qoj3l8q said:
I just read this in a Cattletoday article.
A recent check on insecticides indicated that grasshopper control could be obtained for $2.50 to $4.46 an acre. This is an important aspect since grasshopper infestations are typically higher during the dry conditions (in Texas) many are experiencing presently and as few as 10 hoppers per square meter can consume up to 60 percent of the available forage. The same is true of fall army worm infestations; they can consume essentially all of the available forage overnight if left untreated. Therefore, good pest management is essential for maintaining a healthy, vigorous stand of forage that will meet the production enterprise goals and objectives, and the cost is still affordable. Remember, forage is a terrible thing to waste.
Does anybody know what the most economical insecticide is for grasshoppers?

Spray fence lines, ditches and then every 50 feet of pasture with seven. Three hundred grasshoppers eat a week enough grass to feed a cow for a day. You don't have to try and cover every square inch of pasture as they travel spraying strips every fifty feet will control them and cut chemical cost. Main thing spray bare areas fence lines and ditches as these are breeding areas. Benifits of spraying with seven has several benefits armyworm control, fire ant control as well as grasshopper.

Edit a couple of years ago while attending a forage seminar taught by Dr.Ritche from TAMU this was the recomended treatment for grasshoppers.

grannysoo":25484htt said:
1982vett":25484htt said:
johnlesse":25484htt said:
I think that was already discuss on the other thread..

What other thread?

Spammer - clickable links in the signature.

Yep, that is why I didn't include them in the reply. Thought I'd give em a chance to prove themselves first.

Wonder where the Mods are? Why is it still up?

Those grasshoppers are good to eat............ tear their heads off and their legs and dip them in chocolate--
good stuff

Latest posts