Grass oddities

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
In most years fescue is the mainstay of the forage and hay in this area. This year due I think to the oddities of the weather, the fescue is very poor. Most people are reporting and I've experienced about a quarter of the normal fescue content to the hay, i.e. normally 200 bales off of one farm and only 75, one field we usually get 48-50 bales and we got 13. Now for the odditiy part. We're getting about a quarter higher yeilds on the primarlily OG fields. In mixed pastures the predominant grass is OG and bluegrass, most years bluegrass is a very minor to insignificant part of the grass.
I'm kind of concerned that we may not get the fescue regrowth that is normal and we may have to feed hay this fall and into winter. The OG doesn't regrow as well in the summer as the fescue normally does so it's kind of a poser as to where we're headed this year.

dun

dun":emv5hb44 said:
In most years fescue is the mainstay of the forage and hay in this area. This year due I think to the oddities of the weather, the fescue is very poor. Most people are reporting and I've experienced about a quarter of the normal fescue content to the hay, i.e. normally 200 bales off of one farm and only 75, one field we usually get 48-50 bales and we got 13. Now for the odditiy part. We're getting about a quarter higher yeilds on the primarlily OG fields. In mixed pastures the predominant grass is OG and bluegrass, most years bluegrass is a very minor to insignificant part of the grass.
I'm kind of concerned that we may not get the fescue regrowth that is normal and we may have to feed hay this fall and into winter. The OG doesn't regrow as well in the summer as the fescue normally does so it's kind of a poser as to where we're headed this year.

dun
Dun, I'm seeing the same thing here.The Orchard Grass is amazing, but much of the Fescue is doing below average. It's 45 degrees here this A.M. I think the cool nights have a lot to do with it. and below normal day time highs. Our rain has been about average to a little lacking.Now if you want to talk about Clover, man we have it. We are going to start cutting hay today, but the re-growth will be a question to be answered later. Hope yall' have better luck.

Crowderfarms":3m00fako said:
Dun, I'm seeing the same thing here.The Orchard Grass is amazing, but much of the Fescue is doing below average. It's 45 degrees here this A.M. I think the cool nights have a lot to do with it. and below normal day time highs. Our rain has been about average to a little lacking.Now if you want to talk about Clover, man we have it. We are going to start cutting hay today, but the re-growth will be a question to be answered later. Hope yall' have better luck.

Our nights have been about normal but the highs have been near records for this time of year. We haven't had any rain in 2 weeks and that wasn't enough to do much. That was the first rain we had since last month. The storms are parting and going around us again, much like they did for the 3 years of drought we had. Clover started off well but has burned up from the lack of moisture and the high temps.
Ma Nature strikes again!

dun

I should have added that even though the WW has headed out there isn't anything in the seed heads, they're just hollow husks.

dun

Just goes to show how much we are at the mercy of Ma Nature does'nt it? I remember seeing the long term forecast for rain a couple of months ago, and it showed our area as about normal with the rest of the south being above normal, and the mid west below normal, all the way to where you are Dun. We'll have to all hope it changes for all you folks that have been dry. I'll post our yields here soon.

Same thing here the Fescue is short , and lots of clover. We have'nt had any rain in over 2 weeks . with that and high winds early this month the ground has dried out .

WORANCH":2llp80fi said:
Same thing here the Fescue is short , and lots of clover. We have'nt had any rain in over 2 weeks . with that and high winds early this month the ground has dried out .

Has your clover dried up yet? What about the other grasses, is fescue the only one suffering?

dun

dun":1mlzdelt said:
WORANCH":1mlzdelt said:

Has your clover dried up yet? What about the other grasses, is fescue the only one suffering?

dun

The clover on the hills is starting to dry up, but what's in the creek bottoms is still looking good . I don't have alot of OG AND Bluegrass so I really can't tell how it's doing .
The Burmuda is just starting to try to grow, so far it's been to cool for it . If we get a rain it may be ok.
Not much WW left I grazed it to hard and to long . I ran short of hay this winter so I left the pairs on it to long.

Talked to a couple of commercail hayers today. Seems that the fescue and WW got hit the worst when we had a couple of nights in the 20's a while back. Apparently the OG and BG weren't affected. They're all caliming bumper crops of OG and more BG then usual. But they're whining about the pitful state of the fescue. The guys that usually combine fescue around here aren't going to bother this year. Not enough seed to pay expenses they claim. We had already decided to not combine this year for the same reason.

dun

I'm in hay right now. A little late but I've been working out of town. Where I have orchard grass it is a little better than average. Had more white clover than normal, both this year and last. Mowed today in a field predominantly fescue. I'm figuring about 70%. We have had some really cool nights and late frosts this spring. I attributed that as the reason. Orchard grass is a cool weather grass? Beginning to get dry here. Pastures showing it already. Luck to you.

I've only cut one field so far and it was 20% less than last year which was the best year so far. Last year at this time the clover was blooming by this time and this year its just barely starting to bloom. There seems to be alot of clover underneath yet thats still growing. Time and weather will tell.
After the cold snap a month ago I didnt think the grass was going to amount to anything at all, in the last couple of weeks its really jumped in a couple of other fields that are yet to be mowed. Again time will tell.