grass heading out

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me why the O-grass, and fescue is already heading out, seems to me we are at least three weeks early, also I have 20 ac of wheat that's heading out and is only knee high at best. It's supposed to rain here till Sat. then be pretty for a week after that maybe I can get that baled.

Don't know really......but I noticed some KR Bluestem heading out a couple days ago. Last time it did that this early was 2012 comming off the drought.

Another abnormality, I've got 3 peach trees I all but pronounced dead a month ago because they showed no sign of budding. This week they finally are putting some leaf on.

My grass is green, but not growing at all. i was considering starting a thread about that, but i see I'd be the only one in that canoe. I am seriously considering starting feeding hay again. Not sure how to equitably divide 18 rolls of hay between 117 cows.

Bigfoot":l5jpdp67 said:
My grass is green, but not growing at all. i was considering starting a thread about that, but i see I'd be the only one in that canoe. I am seriously considering starting feeding hay again. Not sure how to equitably divide 18 rolls of hay between 117 cows.

your not the only one, grass is pretty and green, just not growing, except for the yard.
i think if we could get a good rain that would help. been 2 weeks without rain here, just got .40 a day ago.

Warmer than normal weather seems to cause it to head out early. I'm having the lack of growth problem too, I assumed it was just me. I hope it gets going soon.

Fescue and OG isn;t doing much. Brome and bluegrass is heading out

I was thinking of starting this thread as well. Same thing here. Some fescue heading out and aint but about 12-18" tall (the head). Not growing much, and we've had a couple little showers along.

Spring came a month early. Wheat is heading out, ready to harvest early June most likely.

Don't sell your hay yet, you my need it.

I got back from Missouri yesterday. Gone a week. Amazing to me how little the grass grew. I am disappointed in the performance of pasture grasses thus far.

Guy at the Mill blamed it on cool nights but it was cooler last year.

My fescue has started heading out also, within last week. We are still in drought, but got 1.75 of rain in last few days!
May cut hay Sunday/Monday. That would be first ever hay, cut on my farm in April!

I think grasses and especially clovers respond more to the weather that is ahead of us than what the weather is like currently, ie if my clover doesn't start to get going in autumn then I am sure that the next spring will be pretty ordinary, it just doesn't bother to germinate.

I think plants have a lot more intelligence than what we give them credit for.

Ken

wbvs58":2yv6p9wg said:
I think grasses and especially clovers respond more to the weather that is ahead of us than what the weather is like currently, ie if my clover doesn't start to get going in autumn then I am sure that the next spring will be pretty ordinary, it just doesn't bother to germinate.

Ken

I agree. I can't remember ever seeing a wild oat on my place. My hay fields are wrapped up in them. Im sure my pastures are to, the cows are just eating it as fast as it grows. I just don't know what it's sudden appearance means.

We've had wet weather, and we've had warm weather, but we hadn't hardly had a ray of sunshine all year. Usually, when your out early of a morning, and there's a heavy dew, the rabbit tobacco will almost be foamy with bubbles. I'm assuming with gasses put off from photosynthesis, or the crebs cycle (wish I'd paid attention in school now). Anyway, I've noticed all spring, it's just covered in dew, and no bubbles. I guess stuff ain't growing cause it's not sunny enough.

Bigfoot":1i0alk9x said:
wbvs58":1i0alk9x said:

Ken

I agree. I can't remember ever seeing a wild oat on my place. My hay fields are wrapped up in them. Im sure my pastures are to, the cows are just eating it as fast as it grows. I just don't know what it's sudden appearance means.

We've had wet weather, and we've had warm weather, but we hadn't hardly had a ray of sunshine all year. Usually, when your out early of a morning, and there's a heavy dew, the rabbit tobacco will almost be foamy with bubbles. I'm assuming with gasses put off from photosynthesis, or the crebs cycle (wish I'd paid attention in school now). Anyway, I've noticed all spring, it's just covered in dew, and no bubbles. I guess stuff ain't growing cause it's not sunny enough.

The sunshine has indeed been scarce in the last 6 months. Grass here is green, been warmer than normal, adequate moisture, etc. Yes, sunshine is what powers photosynthesis.

TANK30705":hkkfvolg said:
My fescue has started heading out also, within last week. We are still in drought, but got 1.75 of rain in last few days!
May cut hay Sunday/Monday. That would be first ever hay, cut on my farm in April!

Same here, though haven't had that good of rainfall. I gotta wait til the typical Mother's Day cut to avoid nitrate problems since I fertilized on that schedule. I've got some rye to cut now as soon as I get a window long enough.

Same story here. Spring came early with soil temps over 55F. Grass shot up, sorghum-sudan was planted April 1, and is up about 6" now. April is forecast to be 2" over normal rainfall. Temps have been on a roller coaster ride but basically we are moving forward and rains are coming regularly. Mowing lawn every 2-3 days. Rye is going crazy.

I've got some sudex, that's been up about 2 weeks. I notice it's turning yellow. The sun is shining today, this is about the first day of sunshine, since last fall. Maybe things will turn around.

Latest posts