Grass Fires

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
We have been having quite a few grass fires around the Waco area lately. I helped fight a pretty big one Wednesday evening that burned 500+ acres around China Spring. Talked to one of the volunteers last night and he said they were called out again yesterday to fight another.

On the news, I heard volunteers around the area have been fighting at least 2 a day for the last week - think they are suspecting arson. :x

Just wanted to remind everyone to keep on the lookout for suspicious activity!

So far they have been all around us, but none on the ranch - hope it stays that way. The big one I mentioned above was around 4-5 miles SW of us. If somebody is setting these, I hope they catch them soon.

We did have a small fire about 2 yrs ago that burned about 20 acres, but the fire dept got to it pretty quick and kept it under control.

I was at a friends place wednesday when the big one was burning, friend lives in that area, saw it, it got pretty close to a house on garrett -- lady that lives there said that a helicopter was hovering close to ther just inches off the ground trying to blow the fire out because the fd's had run out of water

Bobcat.. you must be talking about the one out on Talbert Ranch Rd. I heard it scorched over 1000 acres. Got one small barn, and nearly a couple of homes.

I hadn't heard they were suspecting arson though.. yikes! One more thing to worry about.

I sure wish the county would get off their duffs and mow these FM roads.. haven't done any of them for the year out by my place, and they are an accident waiting to happen if someone throws a butt out the window. When it's really dry in this area, there are a lot of fires sparked from the trains also.

Everyone be careful with the 4th of July weekend. Gotta watch them "city folks" with their bottle rockets!

Yes, it was out on Talbert Ranch road and Garrett lane. The fire depts did really good - alot of equipment in those pastures and most of it wasn't burned - just the grass right up to it.

I don't know if they were suspecting arson on that exact fire, but I think they are considering it on some of the ones around the Valley Mills area.

TXBobcat":2xk7nrdm said:
Yes, it was out on Talbert Ranch road and Garrett lane. The fire depts did really good - alot of equipment in those pastures and most of it wasn't burned - just the grass right up to it.

I don't know if they were suspecting arson on that exact fire, but I think they are considering it on some of the ones around the Valley Mills area.

From what I understand it was two fires that came together on started on garrett ln and the other on talbert ranch rd. Lady at work said that she heard that they felt like was arson-- she also said that there was another big fire out on 2490 yesterday --just before highland park