Grass fed frame scores?

Help Support CattleToday:

BAGTIC

Reaction score
With the increasing emphasis on grass raised and finished cattle what would be the optimal size range for breeders. Some have said not larger than frame score 4 but what would be the bottom size limit?

Still goes back to what your customer wants. If you are selling it yourself locally and your customers want the size of carcass that those smaller frames will provide, that's just dandy. My customers are still feedlots and they want to same frame size, large medium to small large, that they've alwasy wanted.

Depending on your conditions there is quite a large variety that will still work. In my opinion if you go below a frame 4 you are playing and not farming, go higher than about a 6 and they'll typically take too long to finish.

It's much more the type than the height that matters.

KNERSIE":2yrrk94w said:
In my opinion if you go below a frame 4 you are playing and not farming,

I'm sorry but that's a pretty stupid comment, in my opinion. If you're direct marketing lowline, dexter, mini hereford, or "commercial" small cattle and making a premium on their beef at farmers markets, over the internet, or an on farm store, you're just playing? How is producing beef and selling at a good price playing but producing large cattle to sell for someone else to raise and finish is real farming?

wstevenl":1z78yo56 said:
KNERSIE":1z78yo56 said:
In my opinion if you go below a frame 4 you are playing and not farming,

I'm sorry but that's a pretty stupid comment, in my opinion. If you're direct marketing lowline, dexter, mini hereford, or "commercial" small cattle and making a premium on their beef at farmers markets, over the internet, or an on farm store, you're just playing? How is producing beef and selling at a good price playing but producing large cattle to sell for someone else to raise and finish is real farming?

That is why an opinion is like a haemmoroid....

Latest posts