Grass Fed Flavor

Help Support CattleToday:

You can spice it up, add fat and cook it rare. But grass finished beef will never taste as good as grain finished beef. IMO
You only have one life to live, why waste it eating grass finished beef?

ram, it must be the grass that the animals have eaten or something but grass finished can be delicious.. One important thing is that the fat is from freshly gained weight

Nesikep":2i4lei5c said:
ram, it must be the grass that the animals have eaten or something but grass finished can be delicious.. One important thing is that the fat is from freshly gained weight
I'd rather eat corn/grain fed beef than grass fed beef.

Nesikep":1whc2in8 said:

I'd have to agree with Nesikep. I love tender, grass-fed beef. I find it much more flavorful than grain-fed.

Backbone Ranch":1wj8swb3 said:
Nesikep":1wj8swb3 said:

I'd have to agree with Nesikep. I love tender, grass-fed beef. I find it much more flavorful than grain-fed.
Oh they're flavorful all right....

Backbone Ranch":3u4ic147 said:
Nesikep":3u4ic147 said:

I like it too.
But the fact is corn/grain fed beef has more mass appeal.
Rare that anyone objects to its' flavor, but not uncommon that grass fed flavor is too strong for many people.

Son of Butch":34pj7y7a said:
Backbone Ranch":34pj7y7a said:
Nesikep":34pj7y7a said:

I like it too.
But the fact is corn/grain fed beef has more mass appeal.
Rare that anyone objects to its' flavor, but not uncommon that grass fed flavor is too strong for many people.
Life is too strong for many people!

Grass fed beef has a different smell to it. IMO Not that it smells bad, just different.

Sounds like I have a tough decision.

We need freezer beef, and I was going to have a (grass fed) heifer that did not breed slaughtered. But after reading this, sounds like it will not be the best circumstance. She's over 3 years old now, fat as a hog after all spring/summer grazing good grass but now that has given out, so she has "old" fat.

Easiest thing to do would be to take her to the auction, but like I say, we are hurting for meat. I hate risking a freezer full of bad tasting beef AND no check from the auction, that would be bad.

Any thoughts?

Since posting on this thread I have had grass fed hamburgers twice. I really tried to focus on the taste (before i just focused on getting full). Had some grass fed beef from costco, it was pretty good. No complaints. Then yesterday I had an eleven dollar grass fed burger from a place that featured locally grown beef.... did not like it. Wife didn't mind it, but she had bacon, avocado, and cheese on hers.

Kell-inKY":11qfqsnd said:
Sounds like I have a tough decision.

We need freezer beef, and I was going to have a (grass fed) heifer that did not breed slaughtered. But after reading this, sounds like it will not be the best circumstance. She's over 3 years old now, fat as a hog after all spring/summer grazing good grass but now that has given out, so she has "old" fat.

Easiest thing to do would be to take her to the auction, but like I say, we are hurting for meat. I hate risking a freezer full of bad tasting beef AND no check from the auction, that would be bad.

Any thoughts?

Sell the heifer and buy a yearling bull to fill the freezer

We've only eaten grass fed. Didnt know i was eating top dollar stuff all these years..lol.
Here is my opinion. You get better burger as long as you have the butcher add pork fat to bring the fat level up if needed. I've bought store bought burger and the taste was so weird......although when i eat a burger out, i like that so maybe its my method of cooking what i've had.....Steaks suffer, they tend to be tough. There is a reason they feed out calves with corn. Adds fat, and another reason angus bring more, they add fat where it taste good. Someone posted a caucus grading on different breeds of cattle in this forum...if i had time i'd find it. It showed what breeds put fat where and how much. These were all show steers of various breeds and showed on the char cross..there is a reason you need more weight at the sale with those calves to even out.

Latest posts