Grass-fed defined! TAKE 2

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Loin

Reaction score
by Sir Loin on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:41 pm
Grass-fed defined!

This topic is for intellectual discussion only and all are welcome.
OK folks here we go again. Please stay on topic so I don't have to lock this one down also.

Before you can discuss any subject you first must define the subject.
In this case the subject is "grass-fed beef.

Thus far we have established that there is no ONE definition of grass-fed beef.

I have given you one definition of grass-fed from an advertiser on this board.
http://www.tallgrassbeef.com/
You will find Tallgrass's definition under " Partner with us" . Select "rancher or farmer" scroll down to "file downloads" and click on "Producer Protocols Document ".
I stated I almost totally agree with this definition.

I also gave you a second definition:
http://www.americangrassfed.org/pdf/AGA ... 0Final.pdf
Which I almost totally disagree with.

Bother of these are the terms and conditions, you, the cattleman, must raise your animals under to qualify as grass-fed animals.
There are some very distinct differences in these two definitions, but there is also some common ground.
In an attempt to reach a mutually agreed upon definition for the word "grass-fed" can you list those things that are common to both?
Your turn!
SL

Ps If you get them all right you will be allowed to take two attaboys out of the community chest to buy yourself a Dr. Pepper! And I will to you.
Re: Grass-fed defined!
by IluvABbeef on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:56 pm
And he's at it again....

Ok, Sir Loin, before any of us have another go at this, can you please tell us WHY (if you haven't already) you almost agree with Tallgrass's definition and why you almost disagree with america grass-fed's definition.
by Sir Loin on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:27 pm
Karin,
What do you think I can't walk a tight rope?
OK Here we go, but no fair if someone shakes the rope.

I almost support Tallgrass's definition because he has invest $1,000s of his hard earned money in a business and his motivation is profit by producing a product that he believes the public wants.
Tallgrass and those like him are in the cattle industry and serve an important function to cattleman and the public.
Tallgrass is a dot COM, which denotes commercial. ( profit)
I know who Tallgrass has a fiduciary relationship with. ( the cattle producer and the public who buys)
I know where his funding is coming from, his own pocket.
Where as:
The American Grassfed Association has nothing invested and is not involved the cattle industry.
They are simply a special interest group serving a special interest, which is not in the cattle industry either.
They are a dot ORG, which denotes an organization. ( donations and grants)
I don't know who their fiduciary relationship is with but I do know from what they are promoting is the same personal political agenda as PETA and the environmental ---------- people.
I don't know where their funding is coming from.
Enough said. No questions or comments please.
How's that M?
SL
by IluvABbeef on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:39 pm
Then I think its settled.

I think that, even though there are two definitions for grass-fed beef, they'd most likely be implying the same thing, even though they have it worded different or they come from a different business standard. No I haven't read them yet, but without reading them, that's what I get from your posts.

Now, I'll just sit back and let other folks have at it.
by alftn on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:06 pm
Tall grass is just a advertisment for his product,sounds good, but I would like to see a year around pasture view...AGA seems to be tring to set forth a standerd to produce Beef by..Would like to understand both prespective better.. I raise my beef in a open pasture , use to feed it off in a corral, last few beef feed off in winter months using Berm. hay and a little corn...Of course thety get salt and menerials...
your turn :tiphat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts