Grass burrs/sandspurs

Help Support CattleToday:

Alsupk

Reaction score
We have a growing problem with grass burrs in our pasture. We have done pre-emergent spraying but it doesn't seem to knock them back. Any tips/tricks on what and when to spray? We are in Belton, texas. Thanks.

I have always heard they are a sign of soil fertility issues. Maybe do a soil sample and get the right fertilizer on there in combo with something like Pastora would work better? I hate those damn things.

The best cure for them from my observation, and what I've always been told, is fertilizer. They will typically only thrive in poor soil, so if you fertilize the more desirable plants will out compete grass burrs.

Fertilizer is the key. I take a ton of CEU classes on this stuff to keep my applicators license and this subject come up quite a Bit. I have rid myself of them as well with fertilizer

I'm just up the road in Cameron. I put out Rezilon in mid January and had great success with it this spring and I planned to cut hay in May and spray it again. We had so much rain and I had issues with my baler guy that I ended up not cutting until August. I was still very happy with the results of Rezilon and will use it again in late January. I think this time I will also use Roundup to kill off winter weeds. And, I will be putting out lime to raise the ph to 6.5 and high nitrogen application.

I hope to put out Pastora in mid March if I see any sandburs popping up, but the Rezilon was pretty effective.

I don't know why but my sandburs were nearly non-existent in my bermuda pasture this year.
I did fertilize heavily(600 lbs/acres of 24% Nitrogen).
Thinking about Rezilon based on other recommendations but looking for a source selling quantities appropriate for my small acreage.

Latest posts