Granny through the years

Help Support CattleToday:

leigh12354":3evzxntr said:
Sorry to hear about the old cow, wow a looong life though. Has granny gained any weight back yet? Did the alfalfa hay,beet pulp do any good??
Granny is still shedding weight but her calf is growing better then I expected him to

dun":1l63q2ti said:
leigh12354":1l63q2ti said:
Sorry to hear about the old cow, wow a looong life though. Has granny gained any weight back yet? Did the alfalfa hay,beet pulp do any good??
Granny is still shedding weight but her calf is growing better then I expected him to
Bless her old, bovine heart! :) Keep us posted, Dun.

My friends just got two calves, one has a broken leg, they got her free because of it. They put a cast on. She is taking a bottle good though, they are hoping she survives. The owner was going to put her down.

I have a line that is long lived... the first one lived to be 15, had 14 calves, I have 2 of her offspring, one is 8 years old and the other is a granny, who is now 16 and has her 15th calf, I have 2 daughters from her as well, one is 7 and makes a beautiful calf every time, bull or heifer, the other is a yearling heifer (the fat one if you've seen it). I give Rosie (aka Oldilocks) a bucket of grain on occasion now as her teeth are pretty bad. What really scares me is that I was in high school when she was born, and when her calf of this year is her age, I'll be 50. I figure the old girl still has a couple calves left to give, though I think she does better on hay than on grass, especially shorter grass, so I might fence off a piece for her and the yearling heifers to graze in peace after breeding time.
Rosie typically was a 2nd cycle cow, but with the addition of a bit of grain she's been catching the first time around again, and raising the best calf of the year last year, a 675 lb WW heifer. Udder and hooves are as good as when she was 2 years old

Here's Rosie's mother as a yearling

Rosie, at 15 years old

Daughter with granddaughter

Some cow's don't ever need to stand in a slaughter line.
I have one she is in her 20's calved a couple weeks ago she holds body condition and raises a great calf.
Hopefully when it comes her time she will just lay down and die. She has earned the right to stay here till her last day, even if I have to feed her out of a sack.

I have kinda set the bar at 15 ish calves where I'll give cows some retirement time if they have done it without aggravating me for the entire 15 years. so far we've had 3 cows reach that age.. In the rest of my herd the next oldest cows are only 8 years old, so it'll be a long time until I can increase the count, and I'm not sure any of that set are good candidates for getting that old. Rosie's daughter pictured above could be one of them... would make a trifecta. I hope I don't have to put Rosie down either.. it's gonna be a bad day either way it happens though

Dun -- we had to make a decision to sell a couple of Angus X heifers. Out of the 4, we kept both of the twin granddaughters from that old cow of the co-worker's. They look good. They aren't black, but by rights, they should be.

Ole Baby had a bull calf little over two weeks ago and this little boy is surviving but not thriving.
I put her in the chute and milked her she has milk on every quarter.
I have watched the calf hit every teat acting like there was nothing there which I know is not the case.
I haven't tubed the calf yet as he is still following mom around and keeping up, tried a bottle he really didn't want it.
I hit him with short and long acting penicillin and B-12 as a prevenative measure. He almost seems to be a dummy calf but not quite.
Ole Babe has always raised the biggest calf on the place and always been bred to a hereford bull until this time an Angus.
Something about this little boy aint right going to talk with the vet tomorrow.

I realy like hearing about cows like this. i have three26 27 and 28 all from the same place7 years ago as 5 wts. they look alot the same as yours.what was hard for me was there was five and 4 years ago we cought 30 in the headgate she stood there for a minute and then pushed and fell broke her leg and we had to shoot her. the rest i will probaly let die on the farm.also what sale barn did she come from 15 years ago just wondering since we are from the same area.

TexasBred":34goidcj said:
Ok CB all we need now is pictures showing "CB thru the years" to finish this thread. :lol2:

TB, we might need to settle for some paintings, don't quite know if the camera was around yet to catch CB's early years.

Caustic Burno":3qyd8yyt said:
We did have some pretty amazing technology in Bedrock.

You're graduation picture was probably like mine............a petroglyph ;-)

Caustic Burno":2w6ndphu said:
Ole Baby had a bull calf little over two weeks ago and this little boy is surviving but not thriving.
I have watched the calf hit every teat acting like there was nothing there which I know is not the case.
I haven't tubed the calf yet as he is still following mom around and keeping up, tried a bottle he really didn't want it.
I hit him with short and long acting penicillin and B-12 as a prevenative measure. He almost seems to be a dummy calf but not quite.
Ole Babe has always raised the biggest calf on the place and always been bred to a hereford bull until this time an Angus.

What did the vet have to say, if you don't mind me asking?

Texas Gal":37z4xqtb said:
Caustic Burno":37z4xqtb said:

What did the vet have to say, if you don't mind me asking?

Dummy calf (PSR) poor sucking reflex.

Maybe your old cow didn't push hard enough fast enough and the calf is a little oxygen deprived.
Some calves seem to come out of that if you give them a little shelter, let them get going.

My oldest cow (a '96) had a tiny bull calf (71lbs). I've got her in a pen and will feed her a little grain for a few days. She is only a 2 teat cow today but last year raised a nice bull calf that we sold and got good money for. This one is a Pioneer calf and is really pretty, I thought it had to be a heifer, but sadly not.
Old cows know what to do. I like them.

Betty, you're old cow is the same model year as mine :p Mine still fires on all 4 cylinders, and has a great bag considering the abuse it gets. I just tallied up her calves and she's been a heifer producer too, 10 heifers, 5 steers. Last year's heifer got to a 1000 lbs at 2 months younger than the other calves of the year, and is a tempered little girl... she beats up on the 2 year old cows!

Latest posts