Grandfather clocks

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
There was a Daneker clock ("Senator" model) advertised on Facebook. $200 Supposedly in working order but needed put back together.

I still got that 1-800-sucker tattoo on my head I think. I bought the clock.

3 days of work, another $60 worth of parts, and it runs. Runs good.

The suspension spring was broken so I made a trip to Fort Worth to Weatherly Clockworks. Met Steve Weatherly. He gave me tons of pointers and I listened. Thank goodness I listened. All the things that "might" need adjustment needed adjustment.

I put the new suspension spring in without putting the pendulum linkage on first. Big mistake. I had to assemble the linkage and reinstall it. If not for my wife's third hand, I'd have never made it. My hands are simply too big to get in there. It started working but without the pendulum it only took about 10 minutes to tick off an hour. But it worked!! Several times I had considered the case as potential kindling this winter after my sledge hammer worked it over. I simply had to walk away from the clock a dozen or so times to keep from banding it in my frustration.

I began the adjustments with the pendulum attached and eventually it worked. Now I have been adjusting time and as of this a.m. I am 1 1/2 seconds slow on the hour. I am elated.

Who would have ever thought I would be so happy simply to hear "Tick tock?"

I found safety pins down in the gears. The face had been removed and the keepers were apparently lost. Someone had used safety pins to hold the face on. They were too big so they just put the points into the studs. I could not find small enough cotter pins anywhere in town. So I bought the lifetime supply kit from TSC and turned the smallest ones down on a grinder. They work.

I cleaned and cleaned. Replaced the upper door seal that was cracked and broken.

It is now complete. I learned and whole lot.

This will be a Christmas present for my eldest daughter.

Sounds like now that you've learned a new trade all you need to do now is hang your sign and wait on more clocks. Probably need some Ben Gay for your sore hands too.

Sweet. I think I have sucker on my forehead to. I bought one for a song some years ago but thankfully I knew an old clockmaker and he got things working. Still working fine.

Truth be known to both of you, and everyone else, I don't have the patience to do this often. But it was a huge sense of accomplishment, as well as therapy.

backhoeboogie":bbojczls said:
Truth be known to both of you, and everyone else, I don't have the patience to do this often. But it was a huge sense of accomplishment, as well as therapy.

I know what you mean. If I can't fix it with a hammer I don't need to be messing with it. :mrgreen:

backhoeboogie":1qjqcwt0 said:
Bet it was too. I'd probably have turned it into kindling about 10 minutes after I started.

Good job.
I had a similar experience with an old German built Cukoo clock I'd acquired in Guantanamo Cuba many years ago, but I can't say it ended as well as your endeavor. After working on it for weeks, pulling the 'works' out of it and putting them back in a dozen times, bending the linkage one way or another to make stuff work, I finally got it to where it would keep reasonable time and actually send the little bird out and do something besides just sit there silently on the end of it's pedestal like a buzzard waiting for a newborn lamb. Worked fine for about 3 months, then one day I came in and found the chain and weight that operated the bird laying on the floor. I thought the chain simply broke..and it did, kinda. Every single link in that old chain had straightened up and separated when it hit the floor. Looked at the clock chain and it was the same way..ready to break. That was the last straw. I boxed it all up, dug all the tiny little links I could find out of the carpet and gave it to a Navy chief next door that was married to a German girl. She shipped it back home to Germany and had it fixed, every link soldered closed.

Latest posts