Grand Champion Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter, on the numbers for the Benton County Fair - there are 40 steers entered. There will be many, many heifers entered - sorry I wasn't clear on that. Not being negative at all, but I think quality wise our fair will be 5x what Washington County was. At one time I had written down what all Benton County won at the state fair last year & it was incredible. We've got some really competitive people that go at it hard - & a few that have some money to spend too. This year should be very interesting - I'm excited!! Now with the quality thing said - I think either of Garrett's steers would've competed very well in our county & I know he'll do great at the other fairs. I'm sorry to hear that the auction did not go so well for him! I don't doubt that some of the lambs brought more - there are some well connected people in that lamb barn - as well as some very good lambs!!! I can't remember for sure what our Grand Champion steer brought last year - I think it was around $5 per lb - the county bred steer brought almost as much.

Wes Hudson is one of my favorite people in the show business!! He does a great job sorting, talking & working with the kids. And those Herefords he raises - WOW!!

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Back north it used to be the other way around. Everyone was showing steers because they didn't run heifers through the sale ring. But that was a long time ago.

I was talking to Don earlier and he told me I was all wet on the numbers. Hey what do I know. I don't know unless I am told and most of the time that doesn't work anymore either! :oops: Got to make sure I am looking at you when you talk... otherwise you have to hit me with a 2x4 to make sure you have my attention.

As for Wes Hudson... I was sure impressed with the way he sorted but even more so with the way he handled the kids. Talk about personality. Couldn't understand a word he said about the animals (my hearing aids don't like wide open spaces as much as I do)

Well, no matter what it'll be a learning experience for us. Looking forward to it.

Latest posts