grain

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
My hostein calf is now 6 months old, do I have to continue feeding grain? I heard \they need grain until they are 6 months old, after that you can just feed hay. Is this true>? I would like to get milk from just grass fed cows, but I do not want them to suffer from mal-nutrition. Please help

Some folks do things because thats the way dad & grandpa did them. What kind'a grain are you feeding and how much? I would think the objective at this time is to grow her and get her bred to calve as a 2yr. old. There are forages & supplements that can provide the nutrients required for good production without grain (corn) but it will be better if you research it yourself than to ask others for their opinion.That way you will know for sure what makes her tick and not what somebody else "thinks".

Go to any dairy in the area, better yet, several dairys, and ask them how the manage their heifers.

dun":3hu2m0xf said:
Go to any dairy in the area, better yet, several dairys, and ask them how the manage their heifers.

:nod: Lance that is your best bet.
Go to a good dairy around you and ask for a tour and they will probably be glad to help and discuss their feed programs with you.If you want top quality heifers their feed ration is essential at this age.However there are organic dairies that are grass fed only in Europe and there heifers seem to get along well.

Latest posts