Grain bin panels for a tub

Help Support CattleToday:

I really like those, y'all! I love the solid sides and rank cattle are going to have a hard time thinking about anything other than moving forward. The corrugation lines really guide the cattle's sight.

May I make a few suggestions for safety. I'm not sure how you push the sweep closed with cattle in it, but I suggest adding a spring that keeps the latch closed. An operator holds it open while moving it. Reason - if a cow or bull kicks it, the catch will stop the gate from hitting and going past a down operator. Even if an operator is not on the ground a spring catch will keep the gate from swinging back.

Second suggestion along the same lines - add a foothold for the same reason. I train my folks to keep a foot on the bottom bar so when cattle kick it, they have a very quick way to rise up off the ground to keep the gate from hitting them.

My crowd sweep is from Priefert, made of powder coated pipe, and I added a spring to the catch. While my stock is fairly gentle and docile, in a crowd pen they get irritable. These 2 safety features have kept me from getting seriously hurt.

I agree. I never have any problems with working calves through a Bud box but my cows are a different story. Most will go through just fine but a handful of them are a pain . And it seems the more the cows go through the more they refuse to.
Yes, there are some that don't do well for us as well, but with a little persuasion, they all go in the alley. As long as one goes in, the rest will usually follow -- but it doesn't work as slick in real life as it does in the videos! If I had a hundred cows, and not much help, would probably get a tub, but as it is we can pretty easily run 30 through in about an hour for fall prebreeding shots.

Latest posts