grain after weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

c_bishop679

Reaction score
I have a 9 week old bottle fed calf that I'm going to wean in about 3 weeks. He's already eating about 2 lbs of calf starter grain daily AND he's on pasture. What grain and how much of it should I be giving him after weaning? He's Angus/dairy, leaning heavy on the Angus. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheryl

c_bishop679":21h1yhbs said:
I have a 9 week old bottle fed calf that I'm going to wean in about 3 weeks. He's already eating about 2 lbs of calf starter grain daily AND he's on pasture. What grain and how much of it should I be giving him after weaning? He's Angus/dairy, leaning heavy on the Angus. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheryl

If he was mine, I would gradually increase his calf starter (assuming it has pellitized milk replacer in it) to about 2 or 3 pounds twice a day, after weaning until he was 4 or 5 months old. Then I would gradually change him over to something like a couple of pounds of COB once or twice a day, depending on how well he does, plus the pasture, providing it's good pasture. If the pasture is not good, I would supplement him with good grass hay, or good ground hay along with his COB.

I would wean when he is eating about 5 pound of corn per day, then feed ad lib till about four months, then restricted to 2-3 pounds with good grazing.

We raise bottle calves, and wean them at about 6 weeks. If I were you, I would give the calf all the grain it wanted and start switching it over to a ground corn/supplement mix. Since it is part dairy, I would give it almost all the grain it wanted. The pasture should be enough roughage for it.

Latest posts