Government subsidies on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":12j7ewm7 said:
No offense taken on the tobacco settlement issue. I just wanted people to understand its not the handout that it appears to be. I also hate to see people get it that never handled a plant in their life.

Milking the crop insurance program is bad as well. Collecting on a loss is perfectly fine.

Loan deficiency payments are a whole different story. No other industry that I know of has a handout for you when you come up short.

The CRP program probably serves a good purpose. Again many people drawing it that don't really farm.

When your on that environmental watch group site realize that many people are smart enough to take their payments 10 different ways.

I have gotten some of the phase 2 money. Like you said it has affected land values in our area.

Lots of land in our area went into CREP, we could have put the whole farm in for about $180 a acre per year for 15 years. We decided against it.

WORANCH":1vdpkwgk said:
Put your zip code in and see how much your friends are getting... :D :D :D

http://farm.ewg.org/index.php

Pretty interesting reading. And this does not include any tobacco cost share payments in VA because the cost share is not handled through USDA. It also does not include any state payments for conservation practices. The highest person that has been paid in my area has also recieved hundreds of thousands of state money.

WORANCH":3clnm4g3 said:

Well poop. Our neighbor who has maybe 2 brain cells left due to dope and booze got over $25,000. He leases his land to another person we know to run cattle on. It said that he got crop subsidies but the land hasn't been farmed for over 20 years. Another person whose father is a multi-millionaire and she ain't poor (imports horses and shows at the high dollar shows hunter/jumper) got over $15,000 and there are a couple of others who got money. Most of the people got subsidies for cotton and sorghum. They don't farm.
Are they getting paid not to?
Don't they check this stuff?

chippie":3wozwiit said:
WORANCH":3wozwiit said:

Well poop. Our neighbor who has maybe 2 brain cells left due to dope and booze got over $25,000. He leases his land to another person we know to run cattle on. It said that he got crop subsidies but the land hasn't been farmed for over 20 years. Another person whose father is a multi-millionaire and she ain't poor (imports horses and shows at the high dollar shows hunter/jumper) got over $15,000 and there are a couple of others who got money. Most of the people got subsidies for cotton and sorghum. They don't farm.

The landowner gets a share if it is farmed under a crop share lease.

mwj":2i7z43c4 said:
chippie":2i7z43c4 said:
WORANCH":2i7z43c4 said:

The landowner gets a share if it is farmed under a crop share lease.

No crop share lease. No crops period.

You should be able to click on the name and see what program that the payment came from. Some are aimed at the owner of the land no matter whether they are a producer or not. These are usually conservation type programs.

Top in our zip was 245,000. 130,000 in 2010, and 105,000 in 2011. He is a Bee Farmer . The money was fore livestock losses ?!?!@ Funny thing is he retired from the Local utility after 30 + years at about the time he started getting the checks.

As far as the question earlier about the Solar Pump, the government subsidizes solar because it cannot sustain itself, it cost more than it benefits the consumer so they subsidize it so they can get it sold.(Green energy you know)

Our top was only $26,000,000.00. Guess you guys don't have bureau of indian affairs in your area?

The sad thing is that the majority of the farm bills don't even go to farmers. So as much as you can find the waste in the programs being paid to "farmers", there is even more being paid to non farmers.

I think it is all a shell game. As Jo said, it takes 3 dollars to pay 1. Where are the other 2?

You earn 100 wampum a year, the IRS convinces you it takes 35 of your wampum to run the government (10 wampum job), then they give back 5 wampum and you are so happy and support the "programs". Where is the 20 other wampums? They don't just disappear. Nobody is looking of the missing wampums because they are busy figuring out what they are going to buy with the 5 the government "gave" them.

Everytime the feds can get involved in an industry, there are billions of dollars ran through their hands. What kind of a cut do you have to take of 993 billion in the next decade before it adds up to a substantial amount of money? And worse, how much is being paid to buy support?

I don't have the answer for manipulation of markets by foreign policies, but I don't think it makes sense to pay people to keep land idle. Of course, I'm not a fan of paying people to keep idle either.

Ok, I'll go back to being quiet on the subject. :secret:

And the subject is; If you can't make it without other peoples money, it's time to do something different. I don't have a problem my government (we the people) having available, a safety net for hard times. But dammit, it's being abused. My money, your money, our kids money is being spent.
I typed in my zip code. I had no idea of the hypocrisy. My friends, my neighbors. Whats the world coming to?

I don't raise row crops. If I did, I would take the money. I took my tobacco settlement money, I take drought assistance when it comes around, and I sign up for Nrcs programs that have cost share. I don't feel entitled to it necessarily. It's there I take it. In all honestly it makes me no better than a welfare bum. Although, I would NOT quit work, and go on welfare.

The only reason there is not a program to give it cattlemen is the fact that inlarge we are all small operators, and head strong. The money is there to control the food supply. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but that is what I think.

Bigfoot":4xs54g38 said:
I don't raise row crops. If I did, I would take the money. I took my tobacco settlement money, I take drought assistance when it comes around, and I sign up for Nrcs programs that have cost share. I don't feel entitled to it necessarily. It's there I take it. In all honestly it makes me no better than a welfare bum. Although, I would NOT quit work, and go on welfare.

The only reason there is not a program to give it cattlemen is the fact that inlarge we are all small operators, and head strong. The money is there to control the food supply. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but that is what I think.

Well, I sure don't want to come off wrong. I know I don't have all the answers. I've always thought that if you followed the intent of the law, you were probably morally and legally in the right. Some of the things that occur these days, I don't know. I bought a house at the time there was a tax credit- just happened to be the timing that it all worked out. Was it right for me to take the tax break? What is the difference in that vs the other programs? Probably not much. I don't like the picking and choosing of winners and losers. Why should I get an 8k break when someone 6 months earlier or later may not? I would like to see a level playing field and production, hard work and good decisions rewarded. In the mean time, if you don't take advantage of all the legal avenues, is it prudent stewardship of your finances? :???:

To me the answer to this question is quite simple. I think as long as you are receiving less money from the system than you put in the system then you are merely getting back money what is rightfully yours. Its when someone else's money becomes the majority of your income then you are becoming part of the problem. There are those who make their total incomes from the taxpayer's money. In many cases both husband and wife and sometimes even their children get jobs through their connections in the government and they become part of the food chain feasting on the struggling taxpayer - like a leach. There used to be rules against nepotism but it seems buzzards don't eat their own.

Bigfoot":2m5877sg said:
Livestock producers have programs available to them.

kenny thomas":1qqqoecm said:
Did anyone trade their junker car or truck in during the vehicle buyout. Mine were too old to qualify.
I did. Of course it wasn't really a junker, it was just a lot easier than searcher for a buyer that wouldn't have given me the same price. Which they gave more than the original price (dealer auction). :lol:

FarmGirl10":2lg7pm8p said:
kenny thomas":2lg7pm8p said:
Did anyone trade their junker car or truck in during the vehicle buyout. Mine were too old to qualify.
I did. Of course it wasn't really a junker, it was just a lot easier than searcher for a buyer that wouldn't have given me the same price. Which they gave more than the original price (dealer auction). :lol:

So does anyone think that she should not have taken the offer? I am proud of any working person getting what they have worked for instead of someone that has never worked a day in their life getting the same money.

kenny thomas":lsmj2d64 said:
FarmGirl10":lsmj2d64 said:
kenny thomas":lsmj2d64 said:

So does anyone think that she should not have taken the offer? I am proud of any working person getting what they have worked for instead of someone that has never worked a day in their life getting the same money.
Don't forget that also came with a tax credit. ;-) Mixed with end of year sales and that program it was actually cheaper to buy a new car than it was one that had 60K miles on it.

alohacattle":cqyiad48 said:
Bigfoot":cqyiad48 said:

What are they?

Bigfoot":2tus16v8 said:
alohacattle":2tus16v8 said:
Bigfoot":2tus16v8 said:

What are they?
LGM (livestock gross margin), LRP (Livestock risk protection, LIP (livestock indemnity protection), LFP (livestock forage protection), LAP (Livestock assistance program)

From what little Ive read about livestock risk protection isn't beneficial to me with 50 cows, and a couple bulls.

Is there a program that works like LDP does for the crop grower?

Latest posts