Got lots and lots of tomatoes? Freeze them!

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I got this recipe from a friend last year -- wish I'd gotten it sooner than near end of season. I will be doing lots more this year. Just throw a bag into your soup or stews; use as a base for sauces. Fabulous!

"Have a lot of extra tomatoes that you don't know what to do with? Here is what I have been doing, and the end product is really yummy, if the comments from my four kiddos are accurate. I cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, I quarter tomatoes, any kind, and put them on the baking sheet. No need to skin or seed. Once the sheet is filled, I sprinkle the tomatoes with kosher salt, black pepper, crushed garlic. Then I drizzle with olive oil. I put the sheet into the oven at 275 degrees for 2-3 hours. Then, once the tomatoes have cooled, I freeze them in quart sized freezer bags. When it comes time to make pizza sauce, or spaghetti sauce, I simply heat a pan, dice an onion and add it with some olive oil to the pan, then add a bag of the frozen tomatoes. In about 20 minutes I have yummy sauce. You can add peppers and basil and other things as well. Enjoy!"

I just freeze them whole on a cookie sheet then throw into ziplock bags,
when I want some tomatoes I just pull them out and cook them up, or can them when I have time
Suzanne

Latest posts