Goose Ranch Grazing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Since I started grazing taller, there has been an increase in wildlife on the place. I had 4 pairs of black geese around the HQ this spring. Now they are all are on one soybean field with their goslings. I know geese are hell on young corn. How selective are they when weeding soybeans?

Cannot answer your question for certain but the geese in our soybean fields do not seem to be hurting it much if at all.

Geese do not seem to bother with the corn once it get up in that 4-8 inch height in our fields - but when it is peeking through the ground??? Yikes!

In both cases, once the plant is established and more than 6 inches tall it seems they just eat around them.

I can assure you that grazing taller has serious benefits not only to the grass, but to the local animal and bug life. One thing I have noticed on our place is the return of the fire fly - which was probably around before but we seldom if ever saw them. Now the kids go out at night to specifically watch the light show.

When creatures like that start to come back you know you are doing it right because the less impact we have on the ground, the better.

Cheers

Latest posts