Goodbye old friend

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlecreek

Reaction score
I sold my Registered Black Angus bull at the sale barn this week. He was 14 years old and I had him with my herd for the last 12.
Even though he was still going strong, I knew it was a matter of time before he would go down.
He never had a flaw and put out some of the best calves I've ever seen. Culling him was one of the hardest discussions I've ever had to make in the cattle business.
If there is a silver lining... its that I gave 1300.00 for him, had him 12 years and he brought 1820.00 as a cull. :wave:

That's hard to do. We had to sell some of our cows last week. We sold one of my favorites-an old tiger stripe cow with the longest set of horns-she was a sweetheart. Never missed a calving season-even raised twins one yr. She turns 14 yrs this spring and was bred back. Picking that handful to sell was hard.

Yep, we sold a 15 year old cow this past year, who never missed. Considered keeping her for another year in hopes of getting one more daughter, but finally decided to sell her. It was a bit sad seeing her leave the farm.

I bet those crazy animal rights nuts don't realize that food animal producers have feelings for animals as well.

Sounds like quite a guy. I assume he was good natured.

It would be an easier decision if he was trying to kill you or something.

I know we're not supposed to get attached to these 'stupid cows', but when you spend years with one you like, it just seems like something is missing when you head out the door.

Perhaps I'm getting more sentimental as I get older and am getting closer to being culled myself.

Do you have a photo of him?

I've got a old cow that needs to go . She's always the first to come running when I drive up . Her calf just isn't growing off this year and she's getting pulled down pretty easy . She was the first cow that I bought my self . She's about 13 now . My wife talked me out of selling her last year and I guess as long as we have grass she will keep her . But if we have another drought this year "Ocho " will take a ride .

Latest posts