Good Western Novelist

Help Support CattleToday:

crop/hail":2qntac81 said:
One L'amar book that i read that really wasnt a western but was a good read is called The Last of The Breed. About a native American jet pilot that was shot down in Russia during the cold war then escapes from Russian prison and survives in the wild.
agree! one of my favorites

A few more recommendations
Monte Walsh - Jack Schaefer
All The Pretty Horses
Cities of the Plain - Cormac McCarthy
The Rider of Ruby Hills - L'Amour
Texas Blood feud and Between Hell and Texas -Dusty Richards
Pumpkin Rollers - Kelton
Trail drives series Wriiten by Ralph
Goodnight trail
Dodge city trail
Deadwood trail
Western trail
Shawnee trail
And etc
Compton-NOT THE NEW ONES WRITTEN USING HIS NAME.
The Ogallala Trail - Ralph Compton written by Dusty Richards
Joe Pepper - Kelton
The Man who rode Midnight -Kelton
Already mentioned the Kelton Huey Calloway trilogy but worth mentioning again
I have every L'Amour book
Another book shelf like this one, lost some during moving and an iPad full of more.

I prefer Don Coldsmith. Have read almost everyone of his books. Although I might be biased... We lived in the same town and I knew him personally. Very nice guy and great author.

Ok, this is stretching, but I don't care. If you want to read about the 'real wild west' try The Frontiersman by Allen Eckert. He tells the story of Simon Kenton. This was back when the Ohio River Valley was considered 'The West.' The guys survived something like 9 gauntlets, should have died a couple of dozen times, and had the Indians scared b/c they thought he couldn't be killed and was favored by God. At one point he was one of the largest land owners in the new world (pre-America).

I'll say this, the Indians were tough as nails. Sometimes they're portrayed as an easy opponent for the Americans, but they were tough as nails.

By the way, this is historical fiction. The author poured through hundreds of documents to come up with this book, and the others in the series. It's a great read.

Cross-7":ma08ykgt said:
All The Pretty Horses
Texas Blood feud and Between be nice and Texas -Dusty Richards
Pumpkin Rollers - Kelton
Goodnight trail
Dodge city trail
Deadwood trail
Western trail
Shawnee trail
And etc
Joe Pepper - Kelton
Another book shelf like this one, lost some during moving and an iPad full of more.

Is that hornet spray on there? And do you smell that bad you need 5 deodorant sticks? :lol:

Bestoutwest":16yd8rck said:
Cross-7":16yd8rck said:
All The Pretty Horses
Texas Blood feud and Between be nice and Texas -Dusty Richards
Pumpkin Rollers - Kelton
Goodnight trail
Dodge city trail
Deadwood trail
Western trail
Shawnee trail
And etc
Joe Pepper - Kelton

Is that hornet spray on there? And do you smell that bad you need 5 deodorant sticks? :lol:

That's hat cleaner
I like to look good and smell pretty :D

Caustic Burno":n1ydeevs said:
Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara if you enjoy history.

I haven't gotten to that one yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Killer Angels by his father.

Gods and generals is one of the best books I ever read. Gets into the mens thinking torn loyalties as well .
It is history and biographies all rolled into one

An old timer I grew up with named Steve Frazee.....wrote some good westerns back in the 50's and 60's.

Craig Johnson - Walt Longmire series - is another option y'all haven't listed yet. I've only read one so far, but so far so good. I'm really picky about my books; I have so little free time that I'm sure not reading a book unless it's worth the time.

I've read through all the L'Amour books, Elmore Leonard was pretty decent, haven't read Kelton and my online library account doesn't seem to have him either. Nevada Barr is not "exactly" Western but writes a good outdoors thriller, slight environmentalist spin but well worth the read regardless of your stance on the matter.

FWIW I read very few Westerns... my tolerance for B.S. is really low and I can't handle a book with inaccurate ranching or medical situations. (That right there eliminates 99.9% of the Western Romance genre...) The remainder tend to not be well written and so I find myself in the fantasy section of the library more often than not, where the writing is better and I don't expect reality. :p

Milkmaid,

I'm surprised you're having problems finding Kelton stuff, but even if it's more trouble, it will be well worth it. Although there's nothing wrong with reading fantasy. I read a good bit of it myself.

Cross-7":3icqr6gp said:
Edit to add
Cormac McCarthy all the pretty horses and the 3rd book in the trilogy is good also ( can't remember the title)
Cormac is brilliant but blood meridian is very sick and twisted
I have read one of the books in the trilogy where the main character is obsessed with a Mexican whore in Juarez. I have watched the movie "All The Pretty Horses" probably a dozen times. I listened to Blood Meridian last year on audiobooks and The Judge was one sick debased character, but the novel is based on a true story.

Post Oak":255d64z7 said:
Cross-7":255d64z7 said:
Edit to add
Cormac McCarthy all the pretty horses and the 3rd book in the trilogy is good also ( can't remember the title)
Cormac is brilliant but blood meridian is very sick and twisted
I have read one of the books in the trilogy where the main character is obsessed with a Mexican be nice in Juarez. I have watched the movie "All The Pretty Horses" probably a dozen times. I listened to Blood Meridian last year on audiobooks and The Judge was one sick debased character, but the novel is based on a true story.

Cormac is brilliant but has a very dark side too