Good Western Novelist

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":2k4c67zm said:
Craig Johnson - Walt Longmire series - is another option y'all haven't listed yet. I've only read one so far, but so far so good. I'm really picky about my books; I have so little free time that I'm sure not reading a book unless it's worth the time.

I've read through all the L'Amour books, Elmore Leonard was pretty decent, haven't read Kelton and my online library account doesn't seem to have him either. Nevada Barr is not "exactly" Western but writes a good outdoors thriller, slight environmentalist spin but well worth the read regardless of your stance on the matter.

FWIW I read very few Westerns... my tolerance for B.S. is really low and I can't handle a book with inaccurate ranching or medical situations. (That right there eliminates 99.9% of the Western Romance genre...) The remainder tend to not be well written and so I find myself in the fantasy section of the library more often than not, where the writing is better and I don't expect reality. :p

milkmaid":m7b8tnyb said:
Craig Johnson - Walt Longmire series - is another option y'all haven't listed yet. I've only read one so far, but so far so good. I'm really picky about my books; I have so little free time that I'm sure not reading a book unless it's worth the time.

I've read through all the L'Amour books, Elmore Leonard was pretty decent, haven't read Kelton and my online library account doesn't seem to have him either. Nevada Barr is not "exactly" Western but writes a good outdoors thriller, slight environmentalist spin but well worth the read regardless of your stance on the matter.

FWIW I read very few Westerns... my tolerance for B.S. is really low and I can't handle a book with inaccurate ranching or medical situations. (That right there eliminates 99.9% of the Western Romance genre...) The remainder tend to not be well written and so I find myself in the fantasy section of the library more often than not, where the writing is better and I don't expect reality. :p

If you never read anything else of Elmer Kelton's you have to read the Huey Calloway trilogy
Six bits a day
The good old boys
The smiling country
If you can't find them online let me know and I'll mail you the paperback edition

Found the first Kelton book you mentioned and put it on hold at the library. Willing to give about anything a try once. ;-)

I've read Cormac...he's good but takes some getting used to as I think he missed the class on punctuation. lol.

NolanCountyAG":3o07y9bj said:
http://www.cactusbookshop.com

Located in San Angelo, he has a heck of a selection on western novels.

I saw the add in The Livestock Weekly and called him up. He has nearly anything that a western novel addict like myself could want!!

milkmaid":3288323c said:

What youll find with Kelton is that although they are fiction, they are all historically accurate and the B.S. factor is very low, so that they are very believable. I cant stand novels that are so over the top that they are unbelievable either.

I just read the first of a series by a Wyoming native by the name of C.J. Box called Open Season. Its about a game warden in Wyoming. A Very, Very good read.

So I am now on the fifth book in the series by C.J. Box. They are VERY good. They are all based in Wyoming and are crime/mysteries but are all in a rural setting. I am addicted!!!

Latest posts