Good Varmit Rifle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
We own several guns and periodically practice. Ok.

What is a "good" varmit rifle for 4 legged critters that is higher calibre than a .22? Shells that do not have a "5 mile range", but types that do their job without excessive range?

My 20 ga pump is good up to 50' or so; however, not much use for varmit distance (stray tomcats, badgers, etc.) Our other guns more suited for other uses...

Thanks!

Running Arrow Bill":3ee24fp9 said:

What is a "good" varmit rifle for 4 legged critters that is higher calibre than a .22? Shells that do not have a "5 mile range", but types that do their job without excessive range?

My 20 ga pump is good up to 50' or so; however, not much use for varmit distance (stray tomcats, badgers, etc.) Our other guns more suited for other uses...

Thanks!

If they're big enough that a 22-250 or a 220 swift won;t do the job, the next step up would be a 243.
I guess the logical question would be how big of critters and how far do you need to shoot them?

dun

A Good 243 is hard to beat for bigger vermin. the 308 is a great sniper gun so it will fit the varmit gun bill. if you can stand the kick, I use a 7mm Mag., it will shoot a fly off a critters butt at 400 yards and more.

Running Arrow Bill":1if6fy27 said:

Thanks!
Best bet is a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in .223 caliber. I have had more confirmed kills of Coyotes and Dogs etc.than I could count. 308 is my next favorite. Followed by .243.

Caustic Burno":37cubic0 said:
My favorite is a 45-70 with a 32" barrel never have to guess when you hit one.
:lol: I have a .444 Marlin that has about the same effect. Groundhogs don't make it back under the barn with that. For smaller 22-250 has always done the job. If you have a dislike of .22 calibers, I would agree with the .243 suggestion.

Crowderfarms":38jfuaxa said:
Caustic Burno":38jfuaxa said:
Did it come with Tweezers to pick up the remains?

No but you never have to wonder,good for far and near, and it will sure ball up a big Piney Wood Rooter in the hay field.

Caustic Burno":2q77rdhc said:
Crowderfarms":2q77rdhc said:
Caustic Burno":2q77rdhc said:
Did it come with Tweezers to pick up the remains?

No but you never have to wonder,good for far and near, and it will sure ball up a big Piney Wood Rooter in the hay field.
When's this Bar-B-Que?

dun":3r4o30j1 said:
Running Arrow Bill":3r4o30j1 said:

Thanks!

If they're big enough that a 22-250 or a 220 swift won;t do the job, the next step up would be a 243.
I guess the logical question would be how big of critters and how far do you need to shoot them?

dun

Generally, the range I'm looking at is between 100 and 300'. Don't need the extra "push" of a large cartridge with small bullet. Don't need large calibre (e.g., .44, .347, .50 lol) for small critter--don't plan to vaporize/liquify them...lol.

The .22 obviously is fine if you get a direct hit to a vital organ. I've had to hit a large predator tomcat 2 or 3 times to bring him down (missed the head and heart with the projectiles on 1st shot). However, often this is more chance than choice. Want something large enough to "shock" them dead whereever it hits in the body mass.

Several great rounds have been mentioned but the all time classic has been left out. For an all-round rifle the good old standby 30.06 is hard to beat IMO.

On the bobcat, you must have been shooting .22 shorts, longs, or long rifle - not center fire.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":1r4husx1 said:
Several great rounds have been mentioned but the all time classic has been left out. For an all-round rifle the good old standby 30.06 is hard to beat IMO.

Craig-TX

You are right on and I still like a 30-30 in a Browning 1885 High Wall with 30 inch barrel and double set triggers, heck of a good round in a true rifle and not a sawed off carbine.

Craig-TX":27jcf78k said:
On the bobcat, you must have been shooting .22 shorts, longs, or long rifle - not center fire.

Craig-TX

My thoughts exactly. I was wondering if that was what he was talking about in the original post and the comments about multiple hits pretty much convinces me.
In my mind that means a .223 would be adequate. Coyote/bobcat size varmints are lights out out ot 300-350 yards with a good bullet and a good hit. Foer that matter so are large dogs. No solids and no super duper fast expanding bullet needs apply. A good 55 gr soft point from any of the major ammo companys will do the job.
The NEF single shots look like a cheap product but they will really shoot accurately and they're inexpensive. For a repeater, a stainless mini-14 will do the job but not as accurate as some of the other repeaters or the NEF for that matter.

dun

I just use which ever gun is handy at the time something needs to be shot :lol: But my all time favorite is my 6mm remington. Got enough punch to kill anything I'm going to shoot around here and no kick back. I could shoot it all day long and not feel it tomorrow.

i carry a m-14 with a 3X9 scope in my work truck all the time. as far as aconfim kill i just look for the pall barrars in the sky. they tell the store. i have shoot coyes at 350yrs, and dogs the same way. if is on my ranch it is looking to die.

.223 a sweet little round with very little recoil. However, if you want to kill a few more birds with the same stone just go ahead with .243. Adequate for "whitetail varmints" if you get in a pinch. Heck I've killed a slew of 'em with a .22 hornet, but it's range is quite lacking compared to above mentioned rounds.

Latest posts