Good Things about a Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
It is said that every cloud has a silver lining. This being said, here are a few good things I've noticed.

1. Fuel and fertilizer bill is lower than it has ever been.
2. Haven't lost as many tools in the tall grass.
3. Don't have to bale hay so I have more time for fishing.
4. Don't have to hoe weeds as much in the garden.
5. Finally got a definitive answer to what the optimal stocking level is.
6. Don't have any trouble leading cows from pasture to pasture. All you gotta do is rattle the chain and they come running.
7. Its easy to id noxious weeds - they are green and normally over three inches tall.
8. Equipment doesn't require repair work.
9. Don't have to worry about armyworms.
10. Don't have to mow grass.

And for you mathematicians, I have come up with a new theorem. I've named it the Miller Lite Theorem since without it I would have never thunk it up. "Mental stress created by a drought is inversely proportional to the number of loads that leave your property."

Oh, I forgot one. Have more time to be on the board. ;-) (I'm sure this will encourage some prayers from some for rain on my behalf.) :lol:

Equipment doesnt rust, you forgot that.

Take some of my rain, please. Feast and famine. I swear. I cant get out and do anything for the mud. Yard looks like crud, which is the opposite of the crud the yard looked like last year when there was no rain. Kids can't swim, tomatoes won't get red. Bad hair days every day.

I hope you get rain soon, Jo. I think about it every time I stare out at the stormy skies.

After going through drought and then two years of flooding soon after I learnt there were some other things better about the drought than the floods:
1) The house doesn't have 6' of water in the basement
2) All the fences stay standing
3) The neighbours garbage has not all washed up on your land
4) No cattle are being swept away in the water
Both extremes suck. We are getting rain and I am watching the river get higher and higher. Started clearing out the basement again for when our underground river decides to start coming through the floor again. Don't know what fencing to do. I got sick of putting up fences just to watch the river take them out and leave them in a big tangled heap. :( I'll pray for rain for you and you can pray that I don't get a flood. ;-)

Skeeters!!!!!!!

18 TIKI torches out and there must be 100 bites on me! I've never seen so many.

i mowed the yard today for the first time this year. love that bahia.

Beefy":3h42s0vg said:
i mowed the yard today for the first time this year. love that bahia.

Ain't mowed mine yet beefy. Might have to shortly though as I did get 1/2 inch of rain last night. Might just trim the grass with scissors though as there is only a blade or two long enough to cut.

We were able to replace an old 30' section of fence that crossed a spring fed pond rather easily. There was only about 5 feet of water we had to contend with and it didn't amount to much. It had been patched with a old gate and was in bad bad shape. They had exploited it and I was up at 11 PM Satdurday night getting them up.

Latest posts