Good Plan?

Help Support CattleToday:

In regards to your bad luck, you and I are in the same boat. But we are a major part of the sucess of other cattle ranchers. WE should be thanked!
I started a small operation a few years ago, I do the vacinations,worming, fly spray, good grass, ect. and so far I bought a beautiful braford heifer that wouldn't breed, ended up being a free martin, had my neighbors bull broke a chunk off his hoof at my place, and had two calves die in two years for unknown reasons. After each of these incidents people, and my vet would tell me these things don't happen often, one in fifty or one in a hundred chance. So I've come to the conclusion that I'm the neighborhood statistic and my fellow neighborhood cattle ranchers are safe! LOL

It seems we all have had a taste of what our quest is going through and the thing that will make the difference is how much we all learn from such "goat ropes" of events and mishaps. Learn your lesson and pick your things back up and go on with it. I am very thankfull for this board and all the generous people who are willing to help out.

Ellie May":3ohmafkk said:
Sounds goooooooooooooooooood!!!!! That's sorta like what we are doing in a way.
Ellie May

Ellie
Are you saying that you send your donations to "safe cows.com".

One part of your response reaaly struck a chord with me. "treated no different than my keepers". My old mentor was a dairyman, he used an ANgus or Hereford bull on his heifers. All the cross calves I hauled to the salebran for him, except for the half that I kept myself. Holstein bull calves sold for around 2-3 dollars, cross calf ehifers around 25-50, bulls 75-100. Holstein heifers were never sold unless it had to be pulled or were twins. None freemartins were alwasy kept for table beef. Every calf born was treated exactly the same. Scour boluses as soon as they were brought up, 3 full days (6 feedings) of cholstrum, no calf shipped until it was at least 7 days old. Tjose were his standards and he maintaned them. Obviously the $2 calves were barely a break even while the others were profit makeers. I never hauled a known sickly calf to the sale barn. After a couple of months, folks would line up at the unloading gate and write down the numbers of the calves I was dropping off. Wasn't long and Holstein bulls were around 25-35 bucks and the cross calves had almost doubled. A reputation for quality, healthy calves was pretty well shown to me to be the best business decision one could make.
A great dairyman/businessman and one of the finest people I've ever known. He's been dead for many years and I still miss talking to him, but everyday he has some impact on how we do things and help that we provide to others.

Above previously posted by Dun

The jist of this post could go along with Running Arrow Bill's post
on previous page. It is not luck, it's common sense.

Latest posts