Good Ol' Doc Harris

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
DOC HARRIS":1gb5e68f said:
The members of the Board are really getting sarcastic and hubris! It is appearing on almost all of the posts on most of the subjects.

Maybe it is the season, or the temperature, or the INSECTS! Or maybe their Biorhythms are all on the floor. BUT- - you know, it really isn't worth spending an hour or so carefully trying to help someone - and get a ration of cr-- in return from another so-called expert who has an ax to grind for some other reason or so. And what I am talking about is not this particular post.

Just venting my spleen, I guess. But I am getting sick of wasting my time.

DOC HARRIS

This post explains exactly why there are so many good folk missing from this forum now a days.
I can't even read thru these forums anymore without thinking that I could probably add something to this post to help a feller. But I don't, it is not worth my effort anymore.

These forums were full of helpful, knowledgeable, good folk. The last few of those folk that bother to post anymore need to be applauded for their efforts. I gave up trying to help a long time ago.
The number of spoiled kids that post here amazes me as well. Does no one have to work for the feed that goes into their show calf anymore? Does no one show a home raised calf anymore?
The old adage that kids are supposed to be seen and not heard should be true with several of the "kids" posting on here as well.
I read these posts and just shake my head in disbelief.

certherfbeef":1t3cdao5 said:
DOC HARRIS":1t3cdao5 said:
The members of the Board are really getting sarcastic and hubris! It is appearing on almost all of the posts on most of the subjects.

Maybe it is the season, or the temperature, or the INSECTS! Or maybe their Biorhythms are all on the floor. BUT- - you know, it really isn't worth spending an hour or so carefully trying to help someone - and get a ration of cr-- in return from another so-called expert who has an ax to grind for some other reason or so. And what I am talking about is not this particular post.

DOC HARRIS

This post explains exactly why there are so many good folk missing from this forum now a days.
I can't even read thru these forums anymore without thinking that I could probably add something to this post to help a feller. But I don't, it is not worth my effort anymore.

These forums were full of helpful, knowledgeable, good folk. The last few of those folk that bother to post anymore need to be applauded for their efforts. I gave up trying to help a long time ago.
The number of spoiled kids that post here amazes me as well. Does no one have to work for the feed that goes into their show calf anymore? Does no one show a home raised calf anymore?
The old adage that kids are supposed to be seen and not heard should be true with several of the "kids" posting on here as well.

Good to see you posting once in a while Cert. How are them Herf's and the kids. We have lost some really fine Cattlemen and women. I would dearly love to read a post from Texan, Craig, and Ruby again there was always wisdom there. The Hereford's boards under the breeds are really missing you, txag and Bez.

Caustic Burno":1uxikkbk said:
certherfbeef":1uxikkbk said:
DOC HARRIS":1uxikkbk said:

DOC HARRIS

Good to see you posting once in a while Cert. How are them Herf's and the kids. We have lost some really fine Cattlemen and women. I would dearly love to read a post from Texan, Craig, and Ruby again there was always wisdom there. The Hereford's boards under the breeds are really missing you, txag and Bez.
Amen!

Sure wish some more cattle people would stick around,

I've only been around for about 1 1/2 years or so. Remember the "chaos"back then? It seems tame now.

Do not forget LA4ANGUS.

And i totally agree about some of the kids on here, and i am not totally referring to age some of the posters only post to try and drag someone down with their supposed GREAT knowledge. The second you read their post you know they are phony.
Some remind me of HILLCREEK just tooting to hear themselves too!
I am not going to name names but we all know who i am refering to. the spoiled kids that have to have it with a silver spoon, and the not so young KID that constanly tries to degrade every one yet offers no intelligent information!
The one who claims to know more about auctions and how they work than anyone else.
It is soooooo sad!
NUFF SAID

Caustic Burno":5wcaua4l said:
certherfbeef":5wcaua4l said:
DOC HARRIS":5wcaua4l said:

DOC HARRIS

G'day you old faarrt.

I have stuck around and still try to pass a little on to those who might be interested. Unfortunately my experiences with cattle and infrastructure and "does anybody ever call a veterinarian" have been for the most part not as rewarding as they used to be.

Good example was that young fellow who's mom put up a pic and asked a couple of questions. I sat back a long time before I put in my two cents. I might have made a few pretty harsh comments in my past here - but for the most part I simply try to pass on a few things.

Seems this board is simply going through a trying time. I do know there are those of us who maintain some contact through the PM system as well as private email. If only because our discussions are something that would make us targetable to the pugs and chihauhua doggies.

And in truth I find the boards quite predictable:

Spring - my calf is sick and may be dying - how do I help it? Or worse how do I feed it? PLease help. Please help fast. Please help me immediately. Of course the fastest thing to do might be to call a veterinarian - even if it is long distance. Why would anyone ask a professional when they could ask a complete and total stranger?

Summer - When should I cut my hay? I may live a thousand miles from you, but you must know more than me and the neighbour - even though he has lived here all his life. Should I fertilize my hay? How do I fix a baler that will not tie? Should I turn my cows out into a field with lousy fences? Can I plug a fence straight into the power outlet?

Fall - How do I store my hay? How do I cut the nuts out of a bull calf? How do I help my sick calf? Can cows eat corn that has been combined? Do they get cold in the rain? Should I vaccinate?

Winter - It is cold - can the cows take it? Should I feed my cows - they seem to always be out at the neighbours place? I feed my cows three - YES THREE - pounds of hay a day (about a week ago - I still shake my head) - they do not seem to gain - how can I fix this? Does a cow need more feed when it gets cold? Can a cow stay out in the snow?

No one calls a veterinarian - but they are quite willing to ooh and aah about a cute calf or a puppy or a kitten while they should be spending the time attempting to contact a veterinarian.

Seems the kids get helllll for trying to start a herd with cows that are not the greatest. Kids that could be out making babies with complete children of the opposite sex - or they could be out doing (drug of your choice) - or they could be out stealing cars - instead of good advice and applause we kick them down into the ground and while they are rolling in the mud, some people beat them even further using their own experience in mud slinging.

That kid was me nearly 40 years ago - different colour cows and a pile of folks who encouraged me.

We should be bragging those kids up and ---- yes - if someone had a decent bull that would likely go for burger due to age - but could handle 8-10 cows - maybe GIVE it to that kid. I have already given a few animals away this year to some pretty good kids. Any of you frigging killer pros ever do that to help someone along? All mine went to kids that are hard working - poor as church mice and honest as your old Abe.

Anyone ever volunteer a couple of straws to someone like him?

No, I guess not.

And yes, this is a place to come and learn something. And yes I am happy to pass it along if I can.

Perhaps I am just a cynical old barstard but that is why I seldom chat about our animals and about the ways we have improved the herd. And yes, our performance is a little bit better than CB's estimates for grass feds and yes our animals are followed through the feedlot and the information on feed performance is passed on to us. And yes he is bang on for the average numbers. And I love it when people call him down because I sit back and do the "one liners" over the PM with him.

And yes we know what their average daily gain is. And yes I know how to collect the data and pass it along. And yes we have a constant standing order for our calves as they come to 400 pounds. And no I would not dream of posting it - NEVER.

Because I would be nothing more than a bull schitter to most here. And the beat goes on.

Perhaps this is a long beech session - but in fact I have to tell you folks that email contact with folks like the ones mentioned above - plus a couple of other people that no one mentioned - even though they were once staunch posters here - has provided me with a great deal of information. Some of it works in my area and some of it does not.

In all honesty I have not gleaned much from these boards in a while - but those folks who are not here and maintain contact with me are encyclopedia's of info.

Well, I will go back to lurk for this evening. I got it off my chest and I will continue to as "what did the veterinarina say?" and I will continue to tell folks to get their frigging affairs in order while they are young and healthy and I will continue to tell folks that a will is a piece if schitzen and can and will be challenged by anyone that is ppiissed at the writers and I will continue to watch people starve their animals and I will continue to watch people claim they are the worlds best breeders and I will continue to try and be polite and pass info along.

(Whew - that was a pretty long sentence wasn't it?)

8)

Perhaps one will be successfully touched and perhaps that person will be a teenaged boy who just might outfox us all in the end - provided he does not quit because he and his family took a pile of schitzen from folks here.

I guess that thread really affected me. Those of you whom I call vultures know who you are. Vultures you are and vultures is all you will amount to. Glad you live somewhere other than beside me

I have been away from home for nearly 11 weeks - home soon - I suppose that will improve my mood - but I do stand by all of the above.

My very best regards to all,

Bez>

Bez>":rco0ahd9 said:
Perhaps one will be successfully touched

Bez>

I am not young in age but young in cattle knowledge. I know you and Caustics blunt, direct and to the point post have either taught me a lot or made me think of things in a different way. Especially in Business management. It is easy to find out how to doctor sick calves, we have 5 vets within an easy drive. Its easy to figure what hay or what feed to purchase.

But information about business management from experienced Cattleman that have went through market changes due to a variety of things such as BSE, closed markets, economic changes due to world events. This information is invaluable, there is not always 5 guys of your type within an easy drive. We are lucky to have 5 or more of you guys within a fingers reach!

I hope you all keep posting, and you keep being blunt, sometimes people need hit in head with a baseball bat, some will learn from the hit, and those that don't well they just need hit because.

i dont want any of ya'll ta leave. i've learned so much from just my few months on here. we all know i've had my share of stupid posts that i regret, but i wouldnt of learned anything from it if it wasnt for you guys. none of you are wasting your time unless its to the morons who dont listen to you and learn from it. anyway...i hope you guys got a few incouraging words from that.

I'm a guy who use to go toe to toe with Caustic and Txag, in my early days on this board. I can now say that I have grown in my cattle knowledge and have learned to respect and want what knowledge they can pass on.

I don't know if I wanted an argument because I was young in cattle knowledge (not age) and wanted to prove myself or if I just had my chest puffed up. :roll: I think with knowledge comes humility or maturity if not both.

In the few years I have been on this board, I have seen some great cattle minds leave as well as some real jerks come and go. I have also seen some new great cattle minds join and hang around. This board does seem to be always in a cycle of new knowledge joining, jerks coming and going, the inexperienced questions, and the panic attack got to have an answer now questions and the next breed bending producer. Although I do enjoy all the pics that are being posted in recent times (CB I hope you don't have dail up anymore :D ).

I hope all the great minds stick around (again I won't name them because I'm sure to miss a few), but you know who you are in my mind. I hope the folks who get beat up a bit, like showmomof2 did recently stick around and learn who is who and what they are. So they may know which folk to respect and pay attention to who to stay away from and who to just get out the popcorn and enjoy the reading the post.

Still a newbie hobby guy,
Alan

Alright, all I ever here is "it's the young people's fault" (not just here mind you) and I'm SICK of it. Yes there are some folk on here that are ignorant, stupid, etc. It's not just the kids. The people that on here that irritate me most are not kids ( though at times they act like it) :roll: Give the kids a break.

aplusmnt":3qujkym5 said:
But information about business management from experienced Cattleman that have went through market changes due to a variety of things such as BSE, closed markets, economic changes due to world events. This information is invaluable,

I couldn't agree more Aplus.

Right up there with info on retained ownership programs, different pasture management methods etc.

I thoroughly enjoy Doc's posts. Talk about detailed critiquing! I look way more closely at my animals than I had in the past.

I have gotten alot from some of these guys and gals. I like a thought provoking post. Good to stimulate the mind as long as the mind is open.

Thanks again to those that are still here and those who gave up on CT. Your words don't and didn't always fall on deaf ears.

Katherine

*Cowgirl*":yahl5qqs said:
Alright, all I ever here is "it's the young people's fault" (not just here mind you) and I'm SICK of it. Yes there are some folk on here that are ignorant, stupid, etc. It's not just the kids. The people that on here that irritate me most are not kids ( though at times they act like it) :roll: Give the kids a break.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Alice

Alice":2d5t82gi said:
*Cowgirl*":2d5t82gi said:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Alice

Add another nod for me. :)

Alice":32hbuon4 said:
Alright, all I ever here is "it's the young people's fault" (not just here mind you) and I'm SICK of it. Yes there are some folk on here that are ignorant, stupid, etc. It's not just the kids. The people that on here that irritate me most are not kids ( though at times they act like it) :roll: Give the kids a break

Alice

Keep in mind that to some of most everyone is a kid. Even those younsters that are approaching 50

dun":elp13p6z said:
Alice":elp13p6z said:
Alright, all I ever here is "it's the young people's fault" (not just here mind you) and I'm SICK of it. Yes there are some folk on here that are ignorant, stupid, etc. It's not just the kids. The people that on here that irritate me most are not kids ( though at times they act like it) :roll: Give the kids a break

Alice

Keep in mind that to some of most everyone is a kid. Even those younsters that are approaching 50

Cowgirl wrote that, Dun...but hey, I second that emotion...and I've approached and past that 50 mark, dammit!

Alice

I can honestly say I have learned a lot from this board and appreciate your many replies to my questions as well as reading the posts of others. Though, some of the recommendations might not work for me and my two-bit operation, I'm always open to new and different ideas.

I do sometimes suffer from what is known in the medical community as Brain Flatulance. If this disorder has ever caused anyone discomfort, I sincerely beg your pardon since no malicious intent was ever meant. :oops:

Latest posts