Good hogs.

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder

Reaction score
21433173_1574966525896735_5661093460706072075_n.jpg

Made good hogs out of these yesterday morning.

Good job. Those big traps are worth every penny if you can be patient enough to let them get used to it.

callmefence":1pgm8f08 said:
Good catch. Don't normally catch that many mature ones with a root door...remote activated?

I think it's a trip wire set up. Hard to see but looks like there is a trip line going across the trap.

Its a trip trigger. I built the trap myself. Only thing I should have done different is used 2x4 horse panels instead of cow panels.
I don't have enough cell service here to use a remote activated with a cell phone.

Brute the key is be patient. I keep two cameras on it one on the inside of the trap one outside. You would be surprised at the number of hogs that won't go in the trap for a week or so.

Red Bull Breeder":3pdcrvcp said:
Brute the key is be patient. I keep two cameras on it one on the inside of the trap one outside. You would be surprised at the number of hogs that won't go in the trap for a week or so.

I agree. I do the same thing. :nod:

We built some traps for people, big pen traps like that, they cost over a grand each. One guy couldn't catch squat in his, a couple little pigs here and there. He was giving us a bunch of grief about how much they had spent and they weren't catching pigs... he didnt flat out say it but was dancing right around saying we screwed him. So I finally asked them if they would give me permission to use the trap on their property to show them. They agreed, and offered to buy the corn. Right off the bat they told me I was using too much corn. :x So I just payed for the corn too. I corned it, one sack every day for 2 weeks. Had a game camera on it and there was a pile of pigs going in. I set it and caught 22 pigs.

He backed off about the trap. He still goes out there and throws a couple coffee cans in the trap. If he sees a couple tracks... sets it. It was a waste of money on the big trap because they aren't patient enough and aren't willing to corn it up good.

I like to build them with a pole off one side so you can go ahead and hang a feeder with a winch. Then you can open it up, set the timer and not worry about it for a couple weeks.

Its like a hoglacaust... dang pasture fleas
We caught wind of some dang out of town hunters putting a stand/feeder at one of our fences. Its not that we aren't neighborly or anything. But this block of property is over 500 acres of pines. They burrow and hole all the way through to one of our fences, clear out a spot and put a stand and feeder. It borders one of our fire lanes where we get a lot of deer traffic and I ride around it occasionally and we keep it mowed and nice....had a hunter one time all camoed up with a shotgun standing at the fence on one of our firelanes who I didn't see but when I got close enough to him he startled and whipped around ready to shoot. I do not like, first, looking down the barrel of a shotgun, and not being able to go anywhere on our place and have to worry about some out of town weekender with an itchy trigger finger standing on our fences or shooting down out lanes. Anywho, the reason I bring this up, we're hoping to get a pen full of hogs to exterminate and then promptly dump right next to this guys little hideaway on our side of the fence of course...lol.. I can just imagine opening morning this jerk drives in the dark dawning his new hunting gear and packed lunch and beer, then parks on the highway and walks the mile back there only to find it don't smell so good...lol... bummer

ohiosteve":1o3e4tje said:
No wild hogs up here but I think there are some in southern Ohio. Are they any good to eat?
As long as they aren't a old stinky boar, they are really good. Back 30 years ago when we moved out where we are, the hogs were red meat. It was really gamey and lean. I think people have been intentionally mixing them with domestic hogs because the meat is whiter and they have tons of fat. They are less stinky too.
When we get one I quarter it and stuff it in my smoker with pear wood. I smoke it for up to 24 hours. Sometimes I can it, but I've decided i'm better off freezing it in small sandwich bags. Its 3 servings for us. A jar holds more meat so we either have to eat more, or 2 days in a row... It last longer frozen serving wise. Anywho, had some for lunch today and you'd swear you went to a pull pork restaurant and are eating fresh pull pork. I do not season it when I smoke it, its just meat and smoke. I add BBQ sauce when I thaw and heat it... Best stuff ever.

Latest posts