good grief.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hello, I am the new calf beefy rescued by ripping me from my mom's uterus. She wasnt real thrilled about the whole ordeal. This is me peeing with my new friend "Watertub". When i first tried to walk after being ripped from my moms uterus and coughing up a few bucketfulls of mucus, i fell headfirst into the watertub and beefy had to rescue me, again. my favorite things to do include drinking milk, bucking, and butting beefy in the balls when he isnt suspecting. my name, i suspect, is "Youlittle$#.."
Picture_960.jpg

Gale Seddon":19sybksd said:
I was hoping, Cypress, that we would at least get a photo of the stitches or something...ahhh, well, at least he's got a name for the calf...Ginny (ginormous). Would be very interesting to see photos of a c-section, maybe one of the vets will let me tag along with my camera one day.

Beefy, can't blame that cow for being chute-shy...look what happened the last time she went in there...or was she outside the chute...standing or lying down for the surgery? Inquiring minds want to know...

You want the Details, eh?
We put her in the chute and she started to go down before we even touched her. got her back up real quick and put a bar behind her fanny so if she did start to go down later she had something to sit on to rest. vet requested a something about yay high to put next to the chute that we could lay her uterus on b/c it would get heavy for us to hold. Got a card table, ghetto, i know. anyway, he shaved her, cut a slit vertically in her hide, and then through the muscle. went in. dug around in there looking for the uterus. Dug around in there somemore. uterus was on the other side and took some manuevering to get over to the slit. found it. beefy i'm going to cut this uterus and hand you two feet, you pull el calfo out and clean its face and mouth out real good. Beefy's dad, you help me hold this uterus, this ghetto cardtable is just in the way. so he did and fluids come gushing out washing us all away. he hands me two feet as promised, and even and head and the rest of a normal calf, alive. i go help her cough up some phlegm and get her breathing ok. dad is holding uterus. vet says, ugh, beefy we need you over here to keep these intestines that keep shooting out all over the place from coming out. i rush over and stuff some intestines back in at the bottom. then they flop out at the top. i put them back and they flop out in the middle. what is this, a water leak?! finally i stuff them in and seal up the whole slit with my forearm. uterus is getting heavy so i put my left hand under it to help out dad. vet is stitching uterus back up diligently. Why does it smell like cow pee, asks the vet? ah, theres the bladder... keeps on stitching. gets her did. we stuff the uterus back in and intestines squirt back out. Vet takes the uterus and blocks the intestines in with it and we hold it while he sews up the muscle, then the hide. there all done. he gives her some banamine i think and some oxytocin so she'll pass her afterbirth and we let her out. she stumbles over toward the calf and then walks off to the corner. she lies down soon after and passes everything like she is supposed to within 30 minutes. Csection took about an hour. easy as pie.

Now then, that's more like it! :D

Great looking calf, except for the topline! ;-)

How are they doing? Hope mom figured out she's a mom.

she didnt figure it out yet. still kicks the tar out of her.

So do you plan on keeping this little heifer then? Since she was such a good cow and all.... it wasn't her fault she tore. She is a cute little calf though. Thanks for the play by play, I think I would have puked.

redfornow":3qv34m9c said:
Beefy,
What does a section cost down your way?

MD

dont know. i'll let you know when the bill comes! :shock:

sidney411":mbgjxd5b said:
So do you plan on keeping this little heifer then? Since she was such a good cow and all.... it wasn't her fault she tore. She is a cute little calf though. Thanks for the play by play, I think I would have puked.

her calf last year wasnt even THAT big. she didnt appear to have any problem having it. but anyway. yeah i plan on keeping the heifer. shes out of one of the beefmasters so she should make a good little cow if i can teach her some manners. i may be in the market for a good milk cow, milkmaid.

Beefy":2dm9msyu said:
redfornow":2dm9msyu said:
Beefy,

MD

LOL
Buddy I have been there.
I have a great vet, but sometimes still get alittle sticker shock????

Good luck with the calf and the bill.

MD

Beefy, glad the cow and calf are okay. Too bad there's no illustrations to go with the dialog. LOL I love the way you tell a story, you had me laughing all the way. (Laughing at how you told it, not laughing at the seriousness of the situation)

Katherine

Beefy.. that picture and dialog had me in stitches! It was a classic! :)

Glad to hear everything turned out! She's a nice heifer. And just think, she'll love you for life for saving hers!

Porkchop is doing pretty good. yesterday marked the first day we didnt have to restrain mom to keep her from kicking the you know what out of Porkchop IN THE CHUTE. we let her out of the chute and gave mom some feed (dont tell anybody) and Porkchop was able to nurse without being kicked. she kicked at her some when she got thru with the feed but it wasnt malicious kicking just more like move out of the way and quit being a butthead kicking. i think today we will jsut being able to put some feed out and watch.

Picture_971.jpg

Beefy, can you come assist me in the cafeteria? the LunchLady is being mean to me again.

redfornow":704gpitc said:
Beefy":704gpitc said:
redfornow":704gpitc said:
Beefy,

MD

LOL
Buddy I have been there.
I have a great vet, but sometimes still get alittle sticker shock????

Good luck with the calf and the bill.

MD

$325

Latest posts