This aint good

Help Support CattleToday:

Mineral deficiencies can cause retained placenta. If the cow is NOT sick, do not manually remove the placenta and do NOT give her any antibiotics.
Natural bugs will eat all the little pieces left inside her and clean her up. Antibiotics will kill the good bugs.
Unless sick, leave them alone.
Never pull it. If dragging large piece, cut it shorter or knot it up.
if it's retained over a week, you better watch her appetite and temp REAL close.. you have a real uphill battle in front of you. Usually at about that time I'll give them antibiotics.

Selenium is one of the big contributors to RP, and copper is important in immune system function too.

Read the James Herriot books GB for a few tips. I like the one if they are down sit them up and drag the back legs out behind them, makes it down hill then. In my limited experience with them in practice I have done it a couple of times in big cows and it really helps.

Ken
I only had the pleasure of needing to perform that procedure once... I had nothing for tools, 3am on a cold night (of course). Getting the insides back in wasn't too hard, but stitching her up was not much fun (for either of us).. I didn't have a good needle, so I sharpened up a tire plug insert tool and quadrupled up some thick string and got it done.. gave her a shot of draxxin and she did alright.. never bred back but I hadn't planned on keeping her around anyhow

Shes still retaining, altho it appears there's new/more now.

Plan is to give her a couple more days. Then it'll be a ride to the vet. 🤞
Shes just as normal as ever. Eating good. Just being a normal cow.

My animals always have free choice loose mineral. This is the first abortion I've encountered on my place. The first CONFIRMED anyway.

Thank you everyone! I'll update as we go..

Shes still retaining, altho it appears there's new/more now.

Plan is to give her a couple more days. Then it'll be a ride to the vet. 🤞
Shes just as normal as ever. Eating good. Just being a normal cow.

My animals always have free choice loose mineral. This is the first abortion I've encountered on my place. The first CONFIRMED anyway.

Thank you everyone! I'll update as we go..
if it's moving, that's a good thing!

Read the James Herriot books GB for a few tips. I like the one if they are down sit them up and drag the back legs out behind them, makes it down hill then. In my limited experience with them in practice I have done it a couple of times in big cows and it really helps.

Ken
Sling around each bag leg and pick up with a loader tractor makes it easier too.

Had two last year and was able to use the tractor for the one that was down, the other one was too lively for that. Don't know how to tail block (yet - live a mile from the vet clinic) so we had to put the one back in a few times till she cleaned and stop pushing. Friday night date night for me and the Mrs, lol.

Latest posts