good enough for 4H?

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
My two boys are joining 4H and want to show a steer and a heifer next summer at the fair. We have these calves already. Was wondering what you all think of them. I hate to go out and buy something when we already have cattle.
This is Marion. She's a reg. polled hereford. Her sire is Felton's Legend, MGS Keynote 20X. She weights 510#. Birthday 4-14-06
marion1.jpg

This is Harriette. Another reg. hereford. Sire is Feltons Ozzie, MGS Keynote 20x, Weight 575, Birthdate 4-05-06
harriette1.jpg

First steer, Joe, a BR Moler son. Weight 620, Birthdate 3-06-06
joe.jpg

Next steer, Booger, Weight 575, birthdate 4-04-06
booger1.jpg

It is hard to judge an animal from just a picture. They look fine to me. If they are gentle for the kids, that means alot. If they came from your herd that is even better. For the first time in 4H and showing cattle is that they do not get hurt and have one heck of a good time.

r and s peckman":3tuzypwx said:
It is hard to judge an animal from just a picture. They look fine to me. If they are gentle for the kids, that means alot. If they came from your herd that is even better. For the first time in 4H and showing cattle is that they do not get hurt and have one heck of a good time.
Totally agree.

r and s peckman":1swfo6th said:

Double Ditto!!!!

But, speaking of pictures, from what I see, you have two mighty nice calves in Marion and Joe. Give one the good heifer, and one the good steer, and they just might do better this first year than you think.

Thanks for your replies! I would have thought heifer #2 was better than #3.
Our fair has a small number of beef shown, maybe 20 head in all. We are in a dairy area so there are many more dairy animals. There are three barns ,two and 1/2 are dairy and the remaining 1/2 is beef and 1/2 of those are dairy steers. Who knowns, if they enjoy showing at the county level maybe they could advance to the Wis. State Fair!

AAOK":1khjczqz said:
r and s peckman":1khjczqz said:

Double Ditto!!!!

But, speaking of pictures, from what I see, you have two mighty nice calves in Marion and Joe. Give one the good heifer, and one the good steer, and they just might do better this first year than you think.

I agree with Dan, I like Joe a lot as a Hereford Show Steer on a County level. Would like to see Marion with her head turned around to see the front end better.

You got some nice Herefords there for home grown. Kids should have some pride in them!

r and s peckman":21941cnv said:

i agree my first year was all about having fun and trying to keep me outta danger. But i like the calves there pretty good herfords.

Have fun. You have some pretty good genetics. The Moler steer looks to have real potential. The Legend/20X heifer should be a really good cow.

AAOK":3q4sg21n said:
r and s peckman":3q4sg21n said:

Double Ditto!!!!

More excellant advice from peckmam & AAOK.

Good looking calves.

Get lots of photos of your children showing.

Gotta save those memories~!

Latest posts