Good deal or not ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
I was talking to a guy who has 25 head of commerical cows and a black bull. Some are first calf cows(meaning they have a calf at their side now) And some are 4 & 5 year old cows with a calf.

They are all suppose to be bred back. He wants $25,000 for the whole lot. Does'nt that sound like a bargin ? I guess it would depend on how old the calfs are would'nt it ?

If they are good size cows in good shape with nice calves, that price isn't to high , those calves should be worth $500 or more when they are weaned. It just depends what they look like.

If the commercial cows look good and the calves do to and the bull then ya thats a deal to me it matters more on the cows check them out make sure they look good and that the herd has been kept up with shots and worming and stuff keep us up dated

Lately young black cows with spring calves have been bringing up to $1400 pair around here...Last week I saw some young red cows with April-May born calves at a dispersion sale bring $1380...

A put together bunch of trader cow-calf pairs brought $1350...

Even a running age Hereford pair brought $980..

It has a chance to be a deal. Too much lacking info on size of calves, breeds of cows, sizes of cows, any problems with any cows, etc. If they were good blacks weighing 1100 and calves weighing 300 they would be worth 1200-1400 per pair. If they were all mixed and less than 1,000 lbs and small calves, 800-900 would catch them. The 1,000 price makes them worth looking at, but is borderline too high unless they are special and they would have to be real special to be a great deal. Also, do you need the cows. If you need them, you can pay more and have a good deal.

What breed are the cows?
He wants $25,000 for the whole lot.
So that’s $1,000 per pair with cows under 5 years old. Correct?
Does the $25,000 include the bull?
Where are they located in proximity to you and who pays the shipping?
SL

That includes the bull. The guy selling them just retired a year ago and he said that drought we had last summer burned him out on cattle. And he said him and his wife wanted to do some traveling for the next few years. I am tring to work out a lease on his land after he sales the cows. It is 80 acres of world feeder bermuda.

If i get the lease on the property i could and would want about 15 more head of cattle. He said he would like for the cattle to go to someone who was looking for replacement cattle rather than sale them at the sale barn.

I am going to look at them in the morning. He seemed like he knew alot about cattle and seemed like as if he has been taken good care of them. He said he can tell me the age of all of the cows and when they calfed.

I am hoping he had a controled breeding season on them and that they were somewhere arround the first of the year calfs. If that was the case i thought i would buy the whole lot. Pick out the best 15 head and run the rest through the sale barn ?

I dont know if they are or not. Just as i was fixing to ask him about the cows there was another fella came up and started talking to us. I ask him what they were bred to and he said a black bull. But i am going to go look at them at 9 a.m. in the morning.

Generally a "private treaty" small herd like that is going to be worth more than going to the auction barn and buying up breds and pairs you know next to nothing about. So keep that in mind when you go to look. If they are decent cows, it sounds like a good deal to me. Especially if you can get lease on a good place as well! The owner may be more concerned about them going to a "good home" than the dollars. If he's taken years to put the herd together, and he's proud of them, no doubt he's going to be happier that you buy them and continue on with them.

I went and looked at the cows today and like i thought it was to good to be true. Only 7 of the 25 were heifers with a calf at their side and only 5 of them were black. 8 more were 7 year old cows the oldest cow in the bunch was 8 years old.

Although they all had calfs the calfs were not included in the $ 25,000 price range. All of the cows did look good. They had been well fed. Some of them looked like they would have made good replacement cows.

But after looking over the land i was not interested in leaseing it. It had been cleared not many years ago and had lots of rocks. I would not have wanted to try brush hogging it let alone cutting hay off of it. And he had 6 head of horses on it. I ask him if he ever rode them and he said no. Why he has them or what he is going to do with them i have no idea. They were pretty good looking horses. He feeds his animals alot out of a sack from the BC of his animals he does it on a regular bases. Nothing wrong with that i guess if that is how he wants to spend his money it is his to spend.

But anyway i did not find as good of a deal as i thought i was going to.

Yeah, when you said he knew cattle - I thought something was missing. But as they say, "nothing ventured nothing gained."

Latest posts