Good cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I live in Oregon and would like to know what is a good cattle breed. I am planning to start my own herd. I am thinking about a black baldes or brangus or maby red angus. But my friend thinks we should go for straight black angus. Any ideas

What ever you see the most of in your area, that is the kind you need to buy. If you see Angus, buy those. Herefords, Brangus, etc..... Don't try to go with something different. The other farmers know what sells the best in your area. Duplicate what they are doing. I always think that maybe there would be a better chance of adding to a herd from cattle from your friends and neighbors if needed. They might have a cow that you have admired with a heifer calf, and buy the calf if it is for sale. I don't try to get a buddy discount either. And I don't give two prices either. Money stays with money and friends stay in the friend bracket. Besides, they will do business with you again later. It just seems easier if you keep it with people you know.

oregon,

If you could give us your objective...suggestions might be a little better and more on.

Do you want to do a good commercial herd?
Do you want to raise registered cows?
Do you plan to feed out to harvest(terminal).
Do you plan to sell feeder calves(seel 'em at 5-600 lbs?)
How big of a herd do you plan?

Being in Washington and watching both states sales, I would say your best bet is black baldies . they sell as good if not better than Angus.
with the hereford / angus cross you get the best of both breeds. :cboy:

I would be going for commercial breed. I also would sell off all the steers and keep the cows. My goal is to keep increasing the herd. it would be small intell me and my friends graduate highschool next year. I think i will go for the back baldies

Latest posts