Good cattle books

Help Support CattleToday:

Waldershrek

Reaction score
In my quest for knowledge........I know people have mentioned some good books for beginners like me but I can't find the thread. What books do you recommend?

TennesseeTuxedo":mief72vh said:
Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle by Heather Smith Thomas is a good place to start.

:welcome:

I second that!

I have found the cooperative extension service to be a valueble resourse. They have a lot of pratical info available in print and online that you can get at the county offices or on their websites. The best part is it's FREE. Start out with the site for your state and nearby states as the info is taylored for that region. The major beef production states will have more info on beef. I print out a lot of the articles and keep in a 3-ring binder.

Here's a link to an article that describes the extension service and provides links to every states' extension service website.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_extension_service

The latest edition of The Stockman's Handbook by M. E. Ensminger should be in most cattlemans library. Ton's of useful info.

Storeys Guide to raising Beef Cattle! Is a great one. Was one of the first one's I ever bought.. I learned alot just from it.

Baydog":ry70gsr7 said:
The latest edition of The Stockman's Handbook by M. E. Ensminger should be in most cattlemans library. Ton's of useful info.

That book is like 70 Bucks ? Whats so good about it ?

Arkansas":9i6mk54f said:
Baydog":9i6mk54f said:

That book is like 70 Bucks ? Whats so good about it ?

It has about about 70 Bucks of info in it. Everything from facilities, feed values, some basic disease info, breeding, feeding, range and pasture management, etc. I've had my copy for 20 years and still refer to it some. I have a number of other good books, but this is the one that has a loose cover now.

I have another highly useful book by Dr. M. E. Ensminger called Beef Cattle Science, and it's just as useful, if not more specific, to what you are looking for, and has everything from diseases to breeding, pasture management, finishing, slaughtering, feedlot management, cow-calf management, the list goes on, and is a book that I literally consider to be the "Bible" of all beef-cattle-related books. I think there still are copies available at Amazon.com, since that is where I ordered the book from, though it came in a two-part book since they don't sell the book as one piece like they have a while ago. Storey's Guide to Beef Cattle is also an excellent book, as well as The Cattle Health Handbook and Essential Guide to Calving, both by the same author as Storey's Guide. I also have The Beef Cow-Calf Handbook created by and printed and published by Alberta Agriculture, which has a lot of great information, not just for Alberta beef producers.

Waldershrek":2o41z5sd said:
In my quest for knowledge........I know people have mentioned some good books for beginners like me but I can't find the thread. What books do you recommend?

I found this to be a very helpful book for northern US areas. I especially like the author's approach to handling cattle. It works. Cattle books for Texas may be very different from beginning cattle books in WI or C NY.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1931993688/?tag=cattletoday00-20

Good luck.

Jim

Mid South Guy":zcf41y5d said:
I have found the cooperative extension service to be a valueble resourse. They have a lot of pratical info available in print and online that you can get at the county offices or on their websites. The best part is it's FREE. Start out with the site for your state and nearby states as the info is taylored for that region. The major beef production states will have more info on beef. I print out a lot of the articles and keep in a 3-ring binder.

I am in luck sort of in that area because I am in the Central NY area. We have the Cornell University cooperative extension all over here. Lately they have been offering new farmer specific online courses which I have been wanting to take. Nice thing is they are specific to NY

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

I know this is a thread about books, but in my opinion the best book you could read is the 70 yr old neighbor that has been farming/ranching his whole life. Those kind of guys are full of all the pages of knowledge anyone would ever need! U just dont do it that long and not last!

Dun, its kindof funny my mentor (who is 70) gets up early every day and takes a cat nap every afternoon. I guess that is part of the protocol for lasting that long in the cattle business. :lol:

LimoX":1z93zap4 said:
I know this is a thread about books, but in my opinion the best book you could read is the 70 yr old neighbor that has been farming/ranching his whole life. Those kind of guys are full of all the pages of knowledge anyone would ever need! U just dont do it that long and not last!

Not too many beef farmers in my area, mostly dairy although I'm sure for things such as general cattle questions and pasture/field maintenance a lot of the info is still the same. Sadly the few that I would have had as mentors have passed away

I dont know if anyone else has ever heard of it, but my local library used to have a book called World Cattle. It was copyright 1940's I think and was a thick book. It had a wealth of information and I checked it out several times when I was younger. I guess its condition deteriorated and they got rid of it finally, I wish I had been there when they did and could have ended up with it.

Latest posts