Good books

Help Support CattleToday:

Ricker

Reaction score
Any one have suggestions for good reads on cattle raising?

Books that address stockers and/or cow-calf operations I would appreciate most.

I found these on Amazon.

Anyone heard of them?

1. Greener Pasture on Your Side of the Fence: Better Farming Voisin Management-Intensive Grazing (4th Edition)By: Bill Murphy

Book Description
This book explains in detail why and how to use management intensive grazing, and what to expect from its use for most kinds of livestock. I provide many examples to illustrate fine points, including producing milk, beef, and lamb on pasture alone, nutrient cycling, grounding energizers, recovery periods, economics, and much more. I present everything that I learned during 17 years of using Voisin management on my own farm, and answer all questions that have been asked me during conferences and farm visits with farmers. This book shows a way to increase your farm's profitability and reduce its labor demand -- thereby improving your quality of life -- while properly and responsibly caring for the land and the plants and animals that live on it.

2. The Stockman's Handbook (7th Edition) [Paperback] by Ensminger, M. E.
This book originally written in the fifties covers everything from feed to pasture to barn and corral design. If you're new to the ranching life or just want to learn about it, this is the "bible". Just excellent resource material !!!

3. Beef Cattle Production: An Integrated Approach
By: Verl Thomas
Book Description
Important information on nutrition, reproduction, and genetics! This volume begins by dealing primarily with the management of the cow herd, followed by management of the pre-weaned and post-weaned calf. A chapter detailing the business management aspect of beef cattle production provides much useful information as well. As technology continues to evolve and the economy changes, the business of raising cattle is becoming more complex. The Thomas book helps readers understand the importance of a good business background in being successful in the beef cattle industry.

4. Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle: Health/Handling/Breeding by Heather Smith Thomas

Everything you need to know to raise one, two, or even a herd of beef cattle is in this book -- the most comprehensive beef cattle guide available.
This definitive handbook will help both beginners and experienced owners capitalize on one of the world's most natural and efficient backyard livestock industries. Whether you simply want to make use of land that is too steep, too rocky, or too dry for growing crops, or you want to run a full-scale, modern beef production operation, this book will provide you with the information you need, including how to:

-- Prepare comfortable, low-maintenance facilities

-- Breed and calve cattle for specific genetic attributes

-- Remedy cattle illnesses and maintain excellent herd health

-- Understand cattle behavior

-- Handle herds humanely and effectively

-- Market your cattle business

Here's a source of good books & a great magazine.
http://www.stockmangrassfarmer.net/Bookshelf.html

They will send you a free sample copy of the magazine if you request it.

Would recommend "Knowledge Rich Ranching" as a must read. It is about the business side of the cattle industry. There is a chapter about the cattle price cycle which will give you a good perspective of what is currently happening to cattle prices and what the future may hold.

Any of the other titles that strike your fancy will be good. Have read most of them.

Latest posts