Good Beginners Cattle Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Simply Bovine

Reaction score
What is a good beginners breed of beef cattle?

If I wanted to start working with cattle what breed would be a good one to start with? I would want a type of cow/steer/bull that was easy to handle and calves easily. One that wasn't to expensive, so I could just get used to the cattle business without spending an arm and leg getting started. Also a breed that wasn't hard to get my hands on.

Any suggestions?

Now I have heard that angus in general are sometimes aggressive. Is that true?

I want to get a variety of options.

Does anyone know of a beef breed that is a bit on the small side that would fit my specifications?

there are nuts in every breed. We don't have any problem and every animal in our herd has angus in it...

miniatures are small, but limited market and high start up cost.

Miniature herefords are small docile animals, but the start up cost is a bit expensive. Register $1k to $1.5k.
Good luck with your startup.

Herefords are a good bet for docile stock,cross them over to good black /red Angusbulls and your away.

Buy good quality stock it does not cost it pays. If you are unsure get someone that knows to help you. :)

Well, you asked for a beginners animal - I think all the replies are sorta' ok - but they all miss the mark in my opinion.

You want a mature cow. Vet checked. Quiet. Safe in calf - preferably with calf at side. The breed does not matter. Age is not a real important issue as long as they are healthy breeders. You will cull over the first few years - but you will get a few calves out of the older animals.

You do NOT want something that will give you calving probs - you will have them soon enough anyway.

When you go to buy them - do it in this manner:

Go with at least one person you can trust to help you - someone who knows cows.

Know what you are prepared to pay - well in advance of looking.

The animals should be in a field - NOT a pen.

You will walk amongst them. They will not run away or run at you. If they do - leave.

You will get all the records from the seller. If there are none - leave.

You will help pen them for the vet - any trouble makers stay in the field - and stay there - not at your place.

Any wall climbers stay there.

Any fence crawlers stay there.

You will not take anything that does not have a vaccination regime - things can happen long after you get them home.

You will be there when they are vet checked. You will pay for the checking on the cattle you take. The vendor will pay for the others.

You will split the cost of the vet call.

I have probably missed a few things, but the neighbour brought over a couple of beers - something I have not had in a long time due to financial constraints - so I am somewhat fogged in at the moment.

You do not need more than 10 to start - a nice little herd to build upon while you learn.

I am sure there will be others who can add to my list of "things".

Finally - remember - the breed is not important - the herd mentality is - especially if you are new to the game.

Have fun, and enjoy your cows.

Let us know how it goes,

Bez

What distance are you willing to travel to look for cattle to buy? What breeds are popular in your given area? I think this could have a bearing on narrowing down the breeds to choose from. After looking at different breeds, which one(s) do you like to look at?

Bez summed it up nicely. Breed is not the important factor. Mature cows, bred and docile. That's what you need. If you can get 3-way package - great (bred cows with calf by side). You do not want to buy heifers. They are the highest risk of calving difficulty. You do not need registered cattle, to learn how to manage a cattle herd.

See! I knew you guys could tell me more than a book ever could! I think I was right!! I'm printing everything you all have told me and filing it with my cattle info.

As far as distance to travel for cattle I don't know yet. I am trying to get my husband interested in northern Texas. What do you all think about that area as far as raising beef cattle?? Also don't know what breeds are the most popular in those areas.

My husband would travel quite a ways with me if he thought it was worth it for us. He's quite interested in this whole cattle thing, which really surprised me.

Simply Bovine - where in MN are you? I have a herd of Polled Herefords that I have been crossing with Angus. The Herefords are real mellow ( of course there are nuts too ) and when crossed with the Angus the calves grow real well. Whatever you decide make sure you trust who you are buying from & get complete records up front. I would also have a vet check them over for health but especially pregnancy check the ones that are supposedly bred. I have got stung by someone I bought a group of cows from. Good luck with your venture.

If you really want to try the business on the cheap, buy (or have someone buy for you) some older or short solid cows at the sale barn that are in pretty good shape. The salebarn vet will estimate the age and gestation. Lots of times, ranches will have sell outs where they sell cows and calves. You can look at the calves and get an idea of what the bred cows' calves will look like. If you decide ranching isn't for you, next year sell the cow and you'll proably get what you paid for her back and you'll have a calf to sell also.

Most beef breeds will do well in north Texas. Bez kind of summed up a complete list of todo's when you go to buy. I've sometimes wished I'd followed a list that detailed. I don't seem to do that, but I usually buy from people I know and trust.

You might look at those ranches that have a definite breeding season. Those tend to cull late breeders better and tend to focus on management more. Select cows that have calved early in the season. Those tend the most fertile. One of my first cows was a big bodied pretty cow that calved every 14 months. Her and her third calf was gone. I figure she cost me about 150 lb of calf to sell every year.

tried to tell my old vet once that angus weren't as wild as they used to be. he said when you get one cornered by itself they will still try to get you. hereford & shorthorn are about the tamest. in texas i would think you would want something to take the heat & bugs. something with a little brahma crossed in. sometimes you can buy a whole herd for a better price if someone want to retire or get out. agree that short solid cows are that way because they did a good job & still will for a few years. that refers to the condition of their teeth. around here you can buy some at most any sale barn that are guaranteed to be what they say. except for one where you can't believe what they say for age.

No experience with Murray Grey or Beefmaster, but sure have seen a lot of docile Herefords, Shorthorns and Herf/SH cross cows. Very nice to handle and easy keepers. Never had any of them try to eat me at calving time.

Have also seen both quiet and nutty Angus, Limousin, Charolais, Simmental, Saler, Longhorn and their crossbreds. Tends to be a fair bit of temperment variation within those breeds. Been chased by representatives of all the above at calving time. So far, so good as the only one (SimX) that caught me only rolled me a couple of times in the snow (knock on wood as I sure ain't getting any younger).

Good luck with your choice and take care.

Latest posts