good article

Help Support CattleToday:

Seems like mostly bs to me, where there's a will there's a way. When you depend on the government to survive your outlook is dim. The ads are making the article hard to read.

Attitude, philosophy and perspective!

I would take the challenge as an opportunity. Why shovel shyt into the tide? Take what you can get away with and start a new life. You may find that there are other life experiences that are more rewarding.

Many thoughts:
Number one, they filed bankruptcy and restructured. I've often wondered why farmers get to walk away from debt, but keep everything. I've been meaning to start a thread about that, and may yet.

Number two, $150,000 isn't worth killing yourself over.

Bigfoot":18c3db8t said:
I've often wondered why farmers get to walk away from debt, but keep everything. I've been meaning to start a thread about that, and may yet.

Say what?

The lender will use every means possible under the law to get back as much of the money that was borrowed as possible. Farm foreclosures often result in auctions of tractors, equipment, etc. There are cases where the sheriff has tracked down both cattle and equipment.

The borrower can only keep property and equipment if it is refinanced.

They have ways around it buy buying things in a trust or in someone else name , Or farming family land with old equipment that has been long paid for and only thing they file on is the loans on the crops. I seen a guy here do that now he did have a couple of tractors leased that they came and got but other than that walked away with everything the same and borrowed money the following year and farmed again . It makes my blood boil ,.

Bigfoot":1rzz3kaw said:
Many thoughts:
Number one, they filed bankruptcy and restructured. I've often wondered why farmers get to walk away from debt, but keep everything. I've been meaning to start a thread about that, and may yet.

I would assume the scenario in which they get to keep everything is when a farm in incorporated and the farmer is financing it with personal loans using his home or a non-essential property as collateral.

What floored me was the guy later in the article who was going to end it all over $27,000 in debt. I know what kind of family he was raised in. One where all debt is bad debt and it becomes so deeply ingrained into the kids to where it almost paralyzes them.

$27K? People go in debt that much nowadays on a base model no frills pickup truck....and someone would kill themselves over it?

greybeard":1g6ha42h said:
$27K? People go in debt that much nowadays on a base model no frills pickup truck....and someone would kill themselves over it?

I wish all my debt was 27k id have a party

greybeard":1j7wguqc said:
Permanent solution to life's temporary problems........?

Not necessarily. If this is all he knows, no education, loses everything, what's he going to do? We all know how most on here feel about becoming part of the welfare problem. As for moving to a different market, such as raw milk or beef, it's not always that easy. There's regulations that one must follow, land restrictions since most dairies in New England don't have hundreds and hundreds of acres to run cows on, and let's be honest, some folks just aren't good business people. I'm on a couple of the Facebook groups for cattle, and they are saying that some of the big buyers are creating their own dairies and putting out the small family farms. This may not be temporary for these folks.

As a side note, I'm not sure life insurance will pay out if it's a suicide. But with farming, there's a lot of "accidents" one could have....The big take away is how sad this is.

Personally, I think it was very courageous of the farmer (who had contemplated suicide but got counseling) to tell his story. As can be seen from a few of the comments here, he opened himself up to condemnation in going public. I agree that suicide likely won't help his family in any event, but have compassion for the disordered thought process and despair that would lead a person to even contemplating doing such a thing....
I also think that dairy farmers (at least around here) generally are far worse-off than beef farmers. They work around-the-clock therefore can't hold down an off-farm job to supplement income or get health insurance. I really don't see how the little dairy operations survive at all.

Bigfoot":xltg64ha said:
Many thoughts:

Restructured.
That doesn't mean they walk away from anything. Many times creditors get payment in full plus continuing interest. Just takes a bit longer.

My comments seem callus now. Had a gentleman 2 doors down commit suicide during the farm economic crisis of the 80's. I remember what an eye opener that was.

At the end of the day, we all lay down for a very, very, very long sleep. Personally, I am going to make the most of my waking hours until bedtime rolls around. Suicide does not exist in my plans.

Bigfoot":31i8rnaa said:
My comments seem callus now. Had a gentleman 2 doors down commit suicide during the farm economic crisis of the 80's. I remember what an eye opener that was.

Personal reflection shows the type of person that you are. I believe that the message of the church is not missed on you, and that you truly try to live what you preach. I wish more in the world were that way. :tiphat:

I was born in 1982 so don't remember anything about the farm crisis. But every year i make a point to watch on line the pbs documentary. When things aren't going well you think it could be a lot worse. When things are going really well you get a good reality check. Still several people milking in my neck of woods from 15-1000. Local man one of the nicer set ups did a very good job. Got letter from Deans two weeks ago 90 days no more pick up. Long story short Wal-Mart dropping them building there own.

littletom":39qlimjx said:
I was born in 1982 so don't remember anything about the farm crisis. But every year i make a point to watch on line the pbs documentary. When things aren't going well you think it could be a lot worse. When things are going really well you get a good reality check. Still several people milking in my neck of woods from 15-1000. Local man one of the nicer set ups did a very good job. Got letter from Deans two weeks ago 90 days no more pick up. Long story short Wal-Mart dropping them building there own.
What is the name of that documentary?

Latest posts