Gomer injured calf

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Went out last night to help the neighbor find a few strays. This guys pastures are rough. There are places even a horse can't go. 2 first calf heifers came up w/o their calves. So we went looking.
Found one at the bottom of a draw. Buggered up leg but other wise alright. Winched him up out no problems.

The other is a bit of a mystery as of yet but I have a theory.
Neighbor runs a gomer bull while he AI's. Gomer is a mean SOB and more aggressive than anything I've ever seen. He was put on the bus last night and was hauled to the sale this morning.
Found the second calf laying flat out unable to move but alive. My theory is...beins calf is a bull, that mamma was comming in heat and he was trying to ride her like baby bulls do. SOB Gomer comes up and rides the cow steping on baby and breaking his back. Gomer has been seen bullying the calves and older cows. Bet the guys at the sale barn had fun with him.

Any thoughts on my theory? Anyone ever had this happen before? Texan, since this is my thread...you are welcome to respond. :D

I have never been around a Gomer bull, but, I can see why he would be mad as heck! :lol: I guess he thinks this time will be different each time he attempts his mission. Sounds like they did the right thing when they sent him on his way. If he was in such a bad mood, sounds like he could have very easily hurt the calf.

no reason to doubt that could have happened. especially with a mean one that has been seen bullying them around.

what got my attention.. had to winch a calf out of a draw... now that is rough country imo.

i know some on here have cattle in rough country, but that is not something i think about very often in the flatland i live on.

jt

certherfbeef":2zaivdli said:
Texan, since this is my thread...you are welcome to respond. :D
Thank you very much for including me, Cert. My advice would probably be to find something more important to worry about. ;-)

I don't want you to think me callous and insincere, however. Or think that I don't share your concern. So let me just add that I've always thought it would be kinda neat to be a sidewinder. That way, I could walk up to one and kinda just lean up against her. Wouldn't require much work on my part and before anybody else knew what was happening, it'd be a done deal. Does that help any?

Latest posts