Going to Grass at 9,000ft

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Moved the girls to some high pastures today. They will probably stay there till Oct 1st. Then move a few miles down the road and another 1000ft lower.
All of this up to the trees and several miles west

Headed over the hill to find the other cows

NIce grass up there. No often we see hip high grass at this altitude.

Oldtimer":19niptsz said:
Yep beautiful country... Looks nice now that you folks got grass again..

Funny thing is mine just came off 2in tall gramma grass looking great. I hope they do as well on this hip high brome. The tall grass is hay they decided was not good enuf to cut this year.

Great pics.
One of these days I'm going to come see Colorado. I can see 9000' here but I can't imagine seeing it when the mountain tops look like gentle foothills. :lol:
Do the cattle push up into the timber at all or is gathering as easy as bringing them out of the grass at the bottom?

cow pollinater":2lol6fvs said:
Great pics.
One of these days I'm going to come see Colorado. I can see 9000' here but I can't imagine seeing it when the mountain tops look like gentle foothills. :lol:
Do the cattle push up into the timber at all or is gathering as easy as bringing them out of the grass at the bottom?

They wont get near those trees with that much grass. When we gather usually we just call em and cake em into the portable, They do go into the trees a lot on other pastures but most of this is fenced off of the trees.

Nice country! Reminds me of where we hunt elk in Mt.

Thin air for us guys, I'm on top of the hill here at 169' elevation.

Hope the pasture works well for you, any predators in the area?

Scott

Named'em Tamed'em":33t33xna said:
Nice country! Reminds me of where we hunt elk in Mt.

Thin air for us guys, I'm on top of the hill here at 169' elevation.

Hope the pasture works well for you, any predators in the area?

Scott

Cats, Coyotes. Not real worried about either one.

Nice pics.. if you go up to 9000 ft around, you're standing on a pile of crush rock without a blade of grass visible for a LONG ways, treeline here is about 7500 ft, and that's about where there's enough dirt to grow grass too.

I heard the cats prefer horse to cow... lots of feral horses here fall prey to mountain lion every year, but never a cow. Sure hope they never get bored of horse meat!

Fire Sweep Ranch":3uyk41gs said:
Very pretty. How often do you see the cows once they go up there?

I am sharing it with some friends. One of us will check them once a week. It's about 40 miles from home. My friend is headed up there tomorrow morning.

Latest posts