Going to be doing some chores

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Yesterday early evening neighbor L came in the driveway and started up the hill in his side by side. I went out to see what was going on. Neighbor C had been up in the hills checking water and cows. Coming down the hill he had wrecked his bike above Big Rock. I knew right where that spot is. I had the quad up on 2 wheels there last fall (in the middle of the road..... poor excuse for a road). I hopped on my quad and followed up the hill. I didn't do much other than open and shut gates. We got C into the side by side. He drove it down but you could tell he wasn't very comfortable. L took the bike and I followed along taking care of gates. This morning L called. C has 7 broken ribs. They kept him over night at the hospital. C is a one man army at his place so all the neighbors are going to have to pitch in and get his work done for him. There is irrigation, hay, and cows to check on and move. I talked to him a couple days ago. He was fighting the water system into his house so that is another thing to get fixed while he is down.

Neighbors helping neighbors, that's one of greatest parts of being country folks. When a crises arises everyone steps up with our asking.

SBMF 2015 said:
Neighbors helping neighbors, that's one of greatest parts of being country folks. When a crises arises everyone steps up with our asking.

This!!

Some of our neighbors cut/rake/bale our hay every year. Ended up with 293 bales of brome yesterday (too early to cut the alfalfa). My husband has some health issues so our neighbors banded together with 2 hay trailers and got all of it moved in 4 hours, finished just before dark. They always check on me and are here at a moments notice if I need help.

About a month ago I was walking one of the pastures, looking for a hidden newborn calf. I remember seeing a truck I didn't recognize drive by and slow down but didn't think much of it. Got a call from a neighbor wanting to make sure everything was okay. Her brother was on his way to their house and saw a "young girl" (HA!!!) in our pasture and she "ducked into the woods".

You couldn't pay me to move back to the city!

The wife just left. She got a call from C's 83 year old mother to come have coffee. I bet C and his condition are the main topic of discussion. The wife tries to stop in once a week to visit with the old gal but she very rarely calls here. I am sure she is concerned about how things will get done.

Latest posts