Going looking

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy-

Reaction score
Some know that the 17 MO filly I have has to go down the road for incurable medical reasons. I was told by a lady friend of mine that works at TSC that she found me a free horse. It seems a lady started a boarding business and didn't know what she was getting into and end up with several horses. She said she has a 1/4 horse gelding about 7 years old and never broke she will give me. I am going to go look at him hopefully this weekend.

I have always raised my horses from babies so this will be my first "grownup" to deal with. I will let you guys know if I get him. At least I will know that some rider has not taught him bad things :)

I talked to a guy just the other day that used to brake problem horses for people, he said that you can get horses that old broke you just have to spend twice as much time with them. They are smarter and alot more hard headed. You can probably get the job done though if you spend the time. THanks Kaneranch

Well the price is right, I assuming that he is ground broke and has some manners? But is sounds like a good challenge and if he has a good head he may make you a great horse. Lots of reasons a 7 yr old is boarded and not started to ride yet. Owner didn't have the time or money or courage to get on.

Good Luck,
Alan

Wishing you the best! If he has good conformation and a nice attitude I think you could do something with an unstarted 7 year old. Sounds like a great project!

Alan":20u70x07 said:
Well the price is right, I assuming that he is ground broke and has some manners? But is sounds like a good challenge and if he has a good head he may make you a great horse. Lots of reasons a 7 yr old is boarded and not started to ride yet. Owner didn't have the time or money or courage to get on.

Good Luck,
Alan

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I will post more when I know more about him.

Alan, I am just too dumb to not have the courage to get on. :lol:

born2run":32f86lb5 said:
Wishing you the best! If he has good conformation and a nice attitude I think you could do something with an unstarted 7 year old. Sounds like a great project!

Don't know much about him yet. Hopefully the lady will call me tonight. Shoot, I hear folks talking about not even touching them till they are 3. I figure I can go from round penning exercises to climbing on without missing a beat. With my other Idiot I have to keep sticking him the in round pen to keep his attention. Only about 5 more months till I climb on him. That ought to be interesting.

My last experience with an untouched 18 month old didn't turn out so well. Granted she was a weird one from the get-go. Only horse I've ever been on that you could ride one day and be ok, than have a bucking fit the next. I sold her for a song, just to get her off my hands.

flaboy-":1txd18ue said:
Alan":1txd18ue said:

Good Luck,
Alan

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I will post more when I know more about him.

Alan, I am just too dumb to not have the courage to get on. :lol:

as you said in another post post somewhere, there's nothing between the ears to worry about :p Good luck, and hope the horse trains well.

Latest posts