Going grey

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
My original 15 cows turned 14 this year. I've been really impressed with how well they've aged with strong feet, fairly tidy udders and good condition still. There's only this one that has started to turn grey in her face. Is this normal for purebred black angus cows? Does it have anything to do with her health?

Not uncommon with age but health may very well contribute. Bout 4 years ago I had an Angus-Simm that had a severe case of mastitis; back quarters were dead, her bag was like a bowling ball (obviously sold her). She was only 8 but was getting a lot of grey, primarily on her face. My oldest, pure Angus, is 13 and has lost most of the hair on the back of her ears.

TCRanch said:
Not uncommon with age but health may very well contribute. Bout 4 years ago I had an Angus-Simm that had a severe case of mastitis; back quarters were dead, her bag was like a bowling ball (obviously sold her). She was only 8 but was getting a lot of grey, primarily on her face. My oldest, pure Angus, is 13 and has lost most of the hair on the back of her ears.
Interesting. Now this begs the question of how long to hold onto these old girls. There's sentimental value since I got them from my Grandpa who passed away not long after. Although he was very calculated and all about doing what made the most profit.
With their calves getting smaller every year I'm wondering if it's time to sell them when there's still value in them. If I cut out the tags the buyers will think they're 8.

I'd probably sell them off a bit at a time, the worst producers first.

I've had a bunch of cows go gray with age, My old girl Rosie (live to 18) had significant grey patches by her "armpits" that she never had when younger... ear hairs seem to gray easily as well

What Nesi said.

I'm the absolute worst at culling my sweet old girls and need an objective opinion (sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees). When we work cattle my "crew" includes 2 guys that are 100% cattle - that's all they've ever done. I rely on them to give me the hard truth: Short mouth, good condition, no health issues, calf looks good = keep. Broken mouth, too thin, arthritis, calf is a dink, calving late, etc = sell.

If your girls look (and act) 8, maybe get a 2nd objective opinion (see aforementioned forest) and go from there. Age is relative - there are 15 year old cows that are better producers than some half their age.

TCRanch said:
What Nesi said.

I'm the absolute worst at culling my sweet old girls and need an objective opinion (sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees). When we work cattle my "crew" includes 2 guys that are 100% cattle - that's all they've ever done. I rely on them to give me the hard truth: Short mouth, good condition, no health issues, calf looks good = keep. Broken mouth, too thin, arthritis, calf is a dink, calving late, etc = sell.

If your girls look (and act) 8, maybe get a 2nd objective opinion (see aforementioned forest) and go from there. Age is relative - there are 15 year old cows that are better producers than some half their age.
My best cow right now is Rosie's 15th calf... she did have arthritis, which is why I ended up putting her down, but she still made great calves.. her last year she got a bucket of grain once or twice a week, wasn't exposed to the bull, and was given a pasture that didn't need too much walking (she'd forget about her arthritis when she saw a bucket though)..
This is my last pic of her

Nesikep said:
TCRanch said:
What Nesi said.

My best cow right now is Rosie's 15th calf... she did have arthritis, which is why I ended up putting her down, but she still made great calves.. her last year she got a bucket of grain once or twice a week, wasn't exposed to the bull, and was given a pasture that didn't need too much walking (she'd forget about her arthritis when she saw a bucket though)..
That's one solid looking pair! I can see why she made it so long.

Hoser said:
Nesikep said:
TCRanch said:
What Nesi said.

That's one solid looking pair! I can see why she made it so long.

I'm probably getting rid of that daughter this year, seems to have vaginal prolapse issues, which is unheard of in this family... Then I'll have one left, 9 years old now, she's my top producer, Calf is 2 months old... In the background (white flank) is a great granddaughter, she's a bit a hard keeper but seems to make whoppers, maybe once she rises in the pecking order she'll look better

Latest posts