Going Backwards...

Help Support CattleToday:

rockroadseminole

Reaction score
Weaned calves on 06/01. Wormed, vaccs, etc in June. Steers were implanted. We loaded up the steers to see if we wanted to sell on 07/30, and they averaged 580#. Decided to keep them for another month or two to put another 100#s on. They have been on grass with free choice mineral and good water. Thought I would save some money on feed due to us being blessed with an abundance of rain and an overabundance of grass. No feed was given till last week.

Well... loaded them up to sell today... THEY WEIGHED 480#!!! What in the world happened?

I did give them some feed for the last week to get them excited about the pen again, but does feed make that much of a difference in the summer? I'm on the FL/GA line so it is hot, but good grief.

What did I do wrong besides not selling in July?

I never thought that it got too tall. Although, it obviously did. Called myself paying attention to that and even mowed parts. One thing I did not do is add a second shot of N. We usually do two applications, but didn't see the need for the second trip. Never considered the effect on protein. Also, thought it was too early in the year for the grass to start backing up (August/Sept). I guess that's what I get for being cheap. :bang:

I see it alot this time of the year , grass still looks good but condition is falling. Think of the pastures like a hayfield but not quite as intense . you want to cut and fertilize about every 4 or 5 weeks that gives you the best quality grass to make hay, If you let it go long you loose quality every day.

First time was in a trailer, on the scales at the peanut buying point (yes I remembered to weigh empty). Second was on the hoof in one of those scales that weigh 10-15 at a time. Watched them weighed personally and checked their math.

I've had yearlings go backwards but it was very noticeable, more so than when they are gaining. Unless they were butterballs I would think you would easily notice them dropping 100#'s a head. A cow can starve to death with plenty grass though.

Ebenezer":10xyizec said:
If they lost 100 pounds each they would look like skin and bones.

I have to agree. If they'd lost that big a percentage of their body weight it should have been glaringly obvious just by looking at them. I can't help but think there was a problem with the weighing, either before or now.

Latest posts