Goggle Eyes ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I bought a Hereford bull ET son out of Nasdaq. He is goggle eyed if put on black cows can I expect him to pass that on to his calves? Thanks for your thoughts. :wave:

You can expect it but you may have failed expectations on some calves

as said you may get some goggle eyed calves an you may not.that trait is passed on without knowing an it shows up when it wants to.but if you get some goggle eyed heifers itll sure cut down on the pickeye.

Interesting point, is goggle eyes a trait that is just a 50/50 shot, (or is it more than 50/50?) for the offspring or a gene or what. I'm thinking of scrotum pigment, growth traits, carcass traits along with goggle eyes or eye pigment. I assume it is different then a gene such a horned in Herefords is a gene.

Thanks.
Alan

The Remitall cattle aren't known for their pigment, but Nasdaq looks like he breeds more than most. Eye pigment is such a hit and miss thing that its hard to guarantee anything. I've learned that the angus genetics does play a role in passing on brockle faces in bwf cattle too. I've seen some angus bulls put open faces on their calves and some put brockles on the f1 baldies to. Many years ago we found some bulls that would actually reduce the brockle face when used on f1 heifers and some that would cover most of the face. There are more important factors than eye pigment for preventing pinkeye though.

smnherf":1undzhj9 said:
The Remitall cattle aren't known for their pigment, but Nasdaq looks like he breeds more than most. Eye pigment is such a hit and miss thing that its hard to guarantee anything. I've learned that the angus genetics does play a role in passing on brockle faces in bwf cattle too. I've seen some angus bulls put open faces on their calves and some put brockles on the f1 baldies to. Many years ago we found some bulls that would actually reduce the brockle face when used on f1 heifers and some that would cover most of the face. There are more important factors than eye pigment for preventing pinkeye though.

I agree, but it sure seems apparent to me that cattle with pink skin around their eye are way more prone to eye problems. As I posted a week ago, of all my cattle cows and calves I have only one calf with pink skin around his eyes BWF bull calf and at 3 weeks old had to treat his eyes twice. When I was a kid, thats why we got rid of some hereford cows. I love a BWF but, I hope a get black eye skin from this Goggle eyed bull. JMHO :2cents: