Goats???

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeereboy

Reaction score
What is the stocking rate from goats to cattle?
Is it the same as sheep?? I think i heard 6 sheep to 1 cow, does that sound right??

johndeereboy":3fpis1i9 said:
What is the stocking rate from goats to cattle?
Is it the same as sheep?? I think i heard 6 sheep to 1 cow, does that sound right??

7 small stock units = 1 large stock unit

Just remember that goats are browsers and don't prefer to eat on the same level as cattle.

In terms of pasture, and when feeding Hay. How many goats would take the same amount of hay as one cow? Thank you

johndeereboy":3l8mxqg7 said:
In terms of pasture, and when feeding Hay. How many goats would take the same amount of hay as one cow? Thank you

Ask dun or Keren, they'll be better able to help you, I have never fed hay to goats.

On the hay issue . . .

Three lactating does, six young kids, two wethers and three weaner does will eat one small square bale of lucerne a day. In comparison, a large lactating cow with 3 month calf at foot will eat the same sized bale in a day. Sorry, thats about all I can tell you going by the animals I am feeding at the moment.

A big square bale lasts between 5 and 7 days with our big group, which has approximately 80 goats. Cant compare this to the cattle, sorry, because we are feeding out rounds to the cattle.

Hope this helps, and btw, around 6 goats to 1 cow sounds about right (for my area anyway). Like any stocking rate, its all feed dependant, and depends on how much pasture is available and how much supplementary feeding you are willing to do. And with goats, if there is a high amount of browse on the land, you can stock them at higher rates than if it was just pasture.

Latest posts