Goat meat as competition? Just Curious

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2fqb3ujt said:
I do like goat meat when its cooked properly. One thing I learned is to be extremely careful not to get hair on the meat. Seems like the hair embarks a foul taste to the meat. Best goat I ever prepared was made from soaking it in a vinegar type Italian dressing brine for a day or so then cooking it slowly. It was delicious.
You can take an old tennis shoe and dope it up like that and not be able to tell the difference. Apparantly there aren;t many poeple that like the actual taste of what they're eating.

Jalopy":tjtujfne said:
But my question is about goats and goat meat. I live in Iowa and I see a lot of goats in the midwest and if you travel elsewhere such as Texas you see a great many more. However I have yet to see goat meat at a retail grocery store in Iowa. There may be some places that have it but I haven't seen it so I am wondering if the goat meat is all sold privately or how is it marketed.

A fair amount of it is sold privately, the rest is sold through ethnic markets or supermarkets in the bigger cities with a higher ethnic population. I sell some of my kids off farm, but the majority of them go to Centennial Livestock in Fort Collins, Colorado. Last summer I noticed some construction going on, and I was talking to an order buyer from Royal Meats in Denver. He told me they were building a new slaughter plant at Centennial, and when it was finished they would be buying 400 goats a week to process there.

I just am curious about why people eat goat meat when good beef is more readily available.

Viable question. But now I have a question for you. If you're like most Americans, your colesteral(sp?) is too high, you might be a bit overweight, and you could have a few health problems with blood pressure, etc. My question is this - why aren't you eating goat? It has a lower fat content, contains less colesteral(again, sp?) than beef and, I'm pretty sure contains more protein. Overall, it is a far healthier meat than beef. No, I'm not trying to start anything - I'm simply stating facts. I love beef, and I would never quit eating it. But the fact remains that I also like goat, and I'm looking forward to the day when I can get a freezer and fill it with beef, goat, fish, and maybe a little pork. :lol:

dun":2p9p58rf said:
You can take an old tennis shoe and dope it up like that and not be able to tell the difference. Apparantly there aren;t many poeple that like the actual taste of what they're eating.

In its pure form I don't care much for deer, sheep, goat or grass fed beef and don't get me started on emu. The twang just turns my taste buds off. But prepared n certain ways its wonderful. I have a mexican fella that works for me and his wife can make some of the best tasting dishes out of deer or goat and some other critters I'm told I best stay ignorant on so I guess it all boils down to knowing how to prepare it. But all in all, this post has got me hankering for some goat.

Jalopy wrote:
But my question is about goats and goat meat. I live in Iowa and I see a lot of goats in the midwest and if you travel elsewhere such as Texas you see a great many more. However I have yet to see goat meat at a retail grocery store in Iowa. There may be some places that have it but I haven't seen it so I am wondering if the goat meat is all sold privately or how is it marketed.

A fair amount of it is sold privately, the rest is sold through ethnic markets or supermarkets in the bigger cities with a higher ethnic population. I sell some of my kids off farm, but the majority of them go to Centennial Livestock in Fort Collins, Colorado. Last summer I noticed some construction going on, and I was talking to an order buyer from Royal Meats in Denver. He told me they were building a new slaughter plant at Centennial, and when it was finished they would be buying 400 goats a week to process there.

I just am curious about why people eat goat meat when good beef is more readily available.

Viable question. But now I have a question for you. If you're like most Americans, your colesteral(sp?) is too high, you might be a bit overweight, and you could have a few health problems with blood pressure, etc. My question is this - why aren't you eating goat? It has a lower fat content, contains less colesteral(again, sp?) than beef and, I'm pretty sure contains more protein. Overall, it is a far healthier meat than beef. No, I'm not trying to start anything - I'm simply stating facts. I love beef, and I would never quit eating it. But the fact remains that I also like goat, and I'm looking forward to the day when I can get a freezer and fill it with beef, goat, fish, and maybe a little pork.
and I was talking to an order buyer from Royal Meats in Denver. He told me they were building a new slaughter plant at Centennial, and when it was finished they would be buying 400 goats a week to process there.[/b]

I just am curious about why people eat goat meat when good beef is more readily available.[/q

I guess the main reason I don't eat goat is because it is not readily available.(i.e smal quantities to try). I was never exposed to it as a child and have never eaten it. If I had it to sample as in from someone else who knew what they were doing cooked it I would try it. I wasn't trying to relay that I am a food snob just that since beef is commercially easier to obtain why do people buy goat meat. Everyone has explained a lot of good reasons. I also learned that with the goat industry there is a developing slaughter infrastructure.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Jalopy":2m6x7d2c said:
I guess the main reason I don't eat goat is because it is not readily available.(i.e smal quantities to try). I was never exposed to it as a child and have never eaten it. If I had it to sample as in from someone else who knew what they were doing cooked it I would try it. I wasn't trying to relay that I am a food snob just that since beef is commercially easier to obtain why do people buy goat meat. Everyone has explained a lot of good reasons. I also learned that with the goat industry there is a developing slaughter infrastructure.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

That is completely understandable. I really didn't think you were being a "food snob", it sounded to me like you were simply seeking information on a subject that didn't make a lot of sense to you. No harm, no foul - I was just playing devil's advocate - so to speak - for a moment. :) I hope you did not take offense, because I honestly meant no offense.

Jalopy":1881g8sy said:

Erm ... I kinda thought that was obvious ...

cos I dunno about you, but I get sick of eating the same thing all the time. I like beef, but I get sick of it if I eat it every day. So I also eat lamb, pork, goat, fish, even kangaroo reasonably regularly.

In the same vein I dont eat steak every day, I also eat roast, chops, sausages, rissoles, stir frys ...

And I dont eat broccoli and cauliflower every day. Sometimes I have corn, peas, beans, cabbage instead ...

I dont really think its rocket surgery. Its just variety, thats all.

Spent darn near 40 years in the Navy, some of the best meat I had was goat roasted over an open fire in the Middle East (a few times) with rice, and maybe flat bread. Yes, it is greasy like mutton if not allowed to drip, but very nice if it is. Also greated cooked in stews like in the Caribbean, Spain, Philippines, etc. I've eaten a lot of different meats, and goat is lean like game (antelope or deer). We never ate sheep or goat as a kid in Kansas (working on a farm), and we only barbecued beef and chicken (not even pork), but I didn't know what I was missing. Looking forward to having some of my own.

Sailorman said:
Spent darn near 40 years in the Navy, some of the best meat I had was goat roasted over an open fire in the Middle East (a few times) with rice, and maybe flat bread. Yes, it is greasy like mutton if not allowed to drip, but very nice if it is. Also greated cooked in stews like in the Caribbean, Spain, Philippines, etc. I've eaten a lot of different meats, and goat is lean like game (antelope or deer). We never ate sheep or goat as a kid in Kansas (working on a farm), and we only barbecued beef and chicken (not even pork), but I didn't know what I was missing. Looking forward to having some of my own.

:welcome:

Thank you for your service.

https://www.millscountychamber.com/goat-cook-off.html
It's that time of the year....free range ones will be good this year because of the rains. They weren't any good during the drought. They tasted like rocks and dirt. :)

I've seen goat meat for sale in Texas...at H-E-B grocery stores. It's pretty expensive..$8.99/lb which comes out to about 60 cents an ounce..
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-whole-small-hind-cabrito/372361
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-cabrito-cut-up/849383

I'll eat it very seldom...just not something I like, but if facing whether to eat goat or sheep/lamb, I'll take goat every time. Can't stand the sight, smell or taste of lamb.

I've only eaten goat roasted on spits over open flame. And there was lots of beer and barbecue sauce involved. I thought it was pretty good...

Did I mention the beer and barbecue sauce???

Kingfisher said:
https://www.millscountychamber.com/goat-cook-off.html
It's that time of the year....free range ones will be good this year because of the rains. They weren't any good during the drought. They tasted like rocks and dirt. :)

There will be some fine eating there. And it won't be by mescuns or Muslims......well maybe a few mescuns. Spanish x Boer kids still hitting 3.00 a pound and their on low trend.

greybeard said:

I've seen goat meat for sale in Texas...at H-E-B grocery stores. It's pretty expensive..$8.99/lb which comes out to about 60 cents an ounce..
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-whole-small-hind-cabrito/372361
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-cabrito-cut-up/849383

I'll eat it very seldom...just not something I like, but if facing whether to eat goat or sheep/lamb, I'll take goat every time. Can't stand the sight, smell or taste of lamb.
there's a couple goats missing in the illustration,,but they were probably under my neighbors house, eating the duct work at that time..

Latest posts