Goat brag!

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls

Reaction score
I have to brag on my boy Jack. He was supreme buck both day 1 and 2 of the Tall Corn Meat Goat Classic. He has definitely caught a ton of attention lately and we are so proud of him!

We also did well with this doe. She was reserve champion Sr doe.

This is a march born Austin daughter who stood 4th in a class of 18. Her dam was a really good show doe and this is her only doeling, so she's in the keeper pen.

Thanks guys! To say we are proud of our flock is an understatement! We have worked hard and culled ruthlessly to build a flock that rivals that of the big guys with deeper pockets and it's really starting to pay off! Again, thanks for the compliments!

Those are some nice looking Boers! It is a rare sight around my area, to see any that are even close to what yours look like. Very nice! :)

Good looking goats. I knew a girl in HS who showed goats and those look as good as anything she had and she did pretty good.

He sure looks the goods and I am sure he would do it by himself but you are leaving no stone unturned by having an attractive handler lead him.

Ken

Ol' 243":108rgmnk said:
I don't know sheit about goats, but them jokers look 1st class. Congrats.
I know 1/2 that much about the species, but congrats BootJack!!.

(are those the kind you eat or the kind you milk?)

greybeard":2hfswckk said:
Ol' 243":2hfswckk said:
I don't know sheit about goats, but them jokers look 1st class. Congrats.
I know 1/2 that much about the species, but congrats BootJack!!.

(are those the kind you eat or the kind you milk?)

I know even less that you but I know you don't milk a billy goat :D

The thing I don't get about goats is why everything is about show goats.

If the market for meat goats is so strong why don't more people step in? Half of US goat meat consumption is imported.

HDRider":1h99xfz8 said:

If the market for meat goats is so strong why don't more people step in? Half of US goat meat consumption is imported.

your name would have to be changed to goatrider and people would think that means something else. biggest issue I see with goats is marketing . there are only a select number of outlets to sell at without traveling substantial distance. We have one within 1hrs of me and every one calls it the goat and chicken auction. there are a couple of buyers there that load up and haul to Miami weekly but they pay well below the market on them but people have no choice here .

I raised some goats years ago. Worms was the number one problem. One summer out of 150 kids I lost 35 to worms. The older ones are not as bothered as bad with worms. They are harder to keep in than sheep but if u have a good hot electric fence they stay in pretty good.
Boot Jack you have some really good looking goats !

Ol' 243":14p7l2h1 said:
Don't somebody make goat wormer?

What I've learned about goats in the south is you don't need a wormer if the goats can browse. Turn them loose in an overgrown thicket and they will thrive. Put them on a pasture and you'll lose a goat every time the wind blows unless you worm them once a month. Pig feed with wormer in it works alright but browse is the key.

Dad used to raise goats and I wouldn't go around them because the billys stunk so bad. They were pi$$ing on their beards all the time. Dad had electric fence around everything and was working on it almost daily. He was also worming every month. He had established Mexican customers that he said always paid well for what they wanted. Guess there's money in it as I've been approached about raising goats for a Muslim holiday where they would pay $500 for one. Guess I haven't hit the point where I need the money that bad.

Jogeephus":1ntpp129 said:
Those are fine looking goats. By far, some of the best I've ever seen. Well done.

I agree..
HDRider":1ntpp129 said:

slick4591":1ntpp129 said:
Dad used to raise goats and I wouldn't go around them because the billys stunk so bad. They were pi$$ing on their beards all the time. Dad had electric fence around everything and was working on it almost daily. He was also worming every month. He had established Mexican customers that he said always paid well for what they wanted. Guess there's money in it as I've been approached about raising goats for a Muslim holiday where they would pay $500 for one. Guess I haven't hit the point where I need the money that bad.

I can't speak on everyone situations but I will NEVER not have meat goats again. I got heavily involved in the meat goats last year and man when the Muslims and Mexicans find out you have them for sale they will open their wallets for them as slick said. I can tell you this goats and sheep have a place with me for sure. They will get out some and don't use the big square woven wire or there horns get hung up. Worms are controllable the only thing I really hate is trimming the hooves but then I think about the money I get I will trim all day.