GMO Free Seeds?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr. Parmer, you hit the nail on the head with that one. All the folk hollering about GMO are the first ones in line to get their allergy shot take a handful of vitamins and supplements that have no regulations.

Dr. Parmer It is good to hear from you. You have a lot to offer sir, and I hope that you will continue to participate. :tiphat:

wlamarparmer":26mzf66x said:
Have been reading these boards for approximately 3 years, only post minimal when feel have something to offer. I find myself getting upset with those that impune technology, as in GMO foods. Granted there are issues with some GMO plants, but for general use i think they improve the production and availability of food worldwide. If You don't agree, don't plant GMO material, if You choose organic, then good, live with the % loss production to insects and fungii. I am not saying either is right nor wrong, just get so tired of cr**p see on all media, so that those that protest get all coverage. Those that are middle road apparently have no voice in this day and time.
Without technology and risk we would probably not have had Sulfa drugs WWI era, nor Penicillin WWII era. I know of friends and family members that probably had shortened life in SE from dusting Toxaphene on cotton, and Parathion on peanuts in '50's. Knowing these men I think the only thing they would change today would be to use respirators. None were ever confirmed due to pesticide use, but sure played a part. But, w/o these pesticides the SE would have stayed mired in the depression era productivity. These people did not invent the boll weevil, they fought manually for many years until and effective pesticide was available. With today's restrictions. would this have been available,
would cotton even be a crop in the US.
Pretty Sure will get hammered for this post,but could not stay silent. Getting
too old and cantankerous to just sit by.
W.Lamar Parmer, DVM

I agree 100%. (They say I'm old and cantankerous too). :cowboy:

CottageFarm":31e5w5zo said:
Hey TB, who be dissin' you my friend...callin' you OLD!! :mrgreen:
Oh you now how it is. These "Other" old pharts who might be 6 months younger. They always talkin' big. Mostly them ol' Johnny Rebs living east of us. :mrgreen: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :cowboy:

Thanks Guys/Gals
Will try to be more involved in future instead of mumbling under my breath. Always dreaming of
being cattleman, never gonna happen, just felt had minimal to offer. Will attempt in future to post
non cattle related posts and let chips fall where they may.
Thanks
Wlamarparmer

wlamarparmer":yvgoycka said:
Thanks Guys/Gals
Will try to be more involved in future instead of mumbling under my breath. Always dreaming of
being cattleman, never gonna happen, just felt had minimal to offer. Will attempt in future to post
Thanks
Wlamarparmer
Welcome Doc....and chime in anytime.

TexasBred":1oyhv3h1 said:
wlamarparmer":1oyhv3h1 said:
Thanks Guys/Gals
Thanks
Wlamarparmer
Welcome Doc....and chime in anytime.

Dr.Parmer,

Cattle or not you've had your arms in the south end of a north bound cow enough to be able to comment and help a vast number of participants.

all of us youngsters need advise from seasoned veterans like yourself.

Doc, i have been pro GMO and argue against what i consider anti-gmo ignorance for a long time. But i never thought about the analogy with human medicine. So many people now have no idea how farming works today or in the past to enable them to place these issue in the proper context. Thanks for you posts.

It is in reality a parallel universe, those that do research on plant genetics/diseases are just as important
as those researching in the animal kingdom. In many instances they are in contact with each other on various
issues. Generally they see themselves as scientists, working for the betterment of mankind. Know of a particular
study @ major Veterinary facility: whereby, a lysosomal storage disease occurring naturally in cats, also affect
several thousand children that will never see their teen years. These researchers in collaboration with their human medicine counterparts, have identified said gene, corrected defect, and successfully injected into susceptible
new born kitten and prevented disease. This is only example of research collaboration across species lines and specialties.
Some of the early work on chromosome and genes was done on plant material as that was a simpler complex
to deal with. As I said before, if we can insert a spider gene in goat chromosome and harvest spider web fibers
from goat milk, or insert gene from innocuous drought tolerant grass into corn chromosome to help it grow
in arid environments, why not. Is this any less important to mankind than the development of the cardiac stent.
I say not, each and every one serve a purpose., i.e, parallel universe.

wlamarparmer":2nvmyg4s said:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2015/05/05/404198552/natural-gmo-sweet-potato-genetically-modified-8-000-years-ago?utm_content=buffer3709e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Booker T Washington was responsible for developing different varieties of sweet potatoes and peanuts.

Latest posts