GMO Cattle? What think you?

Help Support CattleToday:

Travlr

Reaction score
Sooooo. is anyone interested?

There's been a lot of talk on another thread about heat related deaths and culling animals that are not heat tolerant.

Dumbest idea I have heard in a long time.Consumers already think we are over managing our production methods.
So slick haired cattle for high heat areas is a bad idea? And why would I be overly concerned with what "consumers" think? Do they have any money invested in producing animals that thrive?

I'm not for it all. It think it's messing with stuff that's better off left alone. If anybody wants heat tolerance, or whatever else, breed for it.
I've always believed there was a fine art to breeding cattle, that develops over time and experience. It ain't rocket science and don't need to be treated as such. We already gone too far down that rat hole with EPD's, AI, and ET.

I have concerns not about the science, but about the unintended consequences that almost always happen when new technology is released. I mean, look at what more or less conventional breeding is doing in terms of the whole "black" hides thing. Having an even more specific technique to chase "fads" worries me a little. On the plus side might be working to eliminate defects. (with the same caveat about unintended consequences)

Latest posts