gluten

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Why is gluten so high in price now? Any chance of these feed prices going down soon?

GMN

Corn is high. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but I would think so. The place I buy my feed just raised prices on all feed across the board.They said it went up and they have to pass it on. It could be associated with the gasahol ethanol craze that is now taking place.

bggoff":6rvd85al said:
Corn is high. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but I would think so. The place I buy my feed just raised prices on all feed across the board.They said it went up and they have to pass it on. It could be associated with the gasahol ethanol craze that is now taking place.

I know corn is high, the last time we got our feed, the guy said gluten took a dramatic increase, next week when we go again, I'll have to talk with him more about it. We get a mix, and might have to substitute something for gluten until the price comes down, just to save some bucks on our feed bill. These high feed prices could be a disaster for dairypeople, and others.

GMN

I got a semi load yesterday and paid $37 per ton for the wet stuff. I think that they are anticipating an increased demand due to the higher price for corn. When all the ethonal plants come on line they will be giving the stuff away and begging people to take it.

KMacGinley":3gr7t32d said:
I got a semi load yesterday and paid $37 per ton for the wet stuff. I think that they are anticipating an increased demand due to the higher price for corn. When all the ethonal plants come on line they will be giving the stuff away and begging people to take it.
What was the moisture of that load do you remember?

Gluten or Distillers, both are costing 15-20 bucks more a ton than they did last year... The trucking is killing us right now. Looking at a different source tomorrow, I am hopping it won't be as bad but I bet it will be...

One of the big problems with the stuff, at least according to one of the guys we talked to is that 55 pounds of corn produces 18 (I think) pounds of DDG and it is REAL cheap for them to ship that all over the country/world right now. Natural gas has come down so it is cheaper to dry than it was a year ago and of course the corn prices are way up.

I have heard of WDG costing as much as 45 bucks at the plant this year depending on the day but have heard of other folks getting it to their place for 35 bucks a ton, depends on location and plant, that is for sure... When this new one gets running 6 miles from here I am hoping that we are able to get some wet from them.. If not them than the other one going up 30 miles from here maybe.

Gluten here has gone up $30. a ton since Sept. The only way we can get distillers is wet but the cost of the trucking makes it out of the question for what it is.

Dairy farmers are using liquid manure spreaders, and seems to be working for them.

mnmt

WE take about 7000 pounds of WDGS and mix it with about 1200 pounds of cornstalks in a TMR wagon and it makes a nice, bukly feed for the cows. Than they get some other stalks fed free choice out in the field they are in. The calfs are just taking WDGS mixed with some silage to grow them up a bit more..

Gluten up 30 a ton since September... What is the moisture content on that (We had an option for 33% DM or 66% DM when we used to get gluten in a wet or semi wet mode instead of the completely dry stuff).

IL Rancher":175mdcyb said:
WE take about 7000 pounds of WDGS and mix it with about 1200 pounds of cornstalks in a TMR wagon and it makes a nice, bukly feed for the cows. Than they get some other stalks fed free choice out in the field they are in. The calfs are just taking WDGS mixed with some silage to grow them up a bit more..

Gluten up 30 a ton since September... What is the moisture content on that (We had an option for 33% DM or 66% DM when we used to get gluten in a wet or semi wet mode instead of the completely dry stuff).

These are dry pellets, in gluten.

GMN":1wudf1bn said:
Why is gluten so high in price now? Any chance of these feed prices going down soon? GMN

Some of these by product prices are seasonal - - more demand by cattlemen during the fall and winter, and the price of alternative feeds are also usually increasing during the winter.

The experts say oil and grain are both going to stay high, but what to they know. Remember the farm crisis?

I think there are a couple winners in this situation - -
1) Cattlemen close to wet by products
2) Cattle men close to cheap hay

Which one are you?

I've been feeding dry gluten for about one year. I love it! My price has only gone up $10\ton. I get from a A.D.M. plant in Cedar Rapids Ia. I think it is cheap compared to the cost of corn when looking at the feed value. I've heard other parts of the Country it has gone up quite a bit more. The reason....Big feed lots are filling whole rail car lines and are shipping to Texas and out west. Trust me...it will come down as more of these Ethonal plants come online.

A week ago the dairy got some and it haf come down $30 a ton. Maybe they got it at a btter source.

somn":h4o5kk3d said:
KMacGinley":h4o5kk3d said:
What was the moisture of that load do you remember?

45.6% , I have been feeding 10 lbs /day to cows on stalks and they are doing good on it.

IL Rancher, How many cows do you have, or at what rate are you feeding the wet at. We feed cows ground hay and stalks with the wet in a tmr wagon also, along with corn silage. It sure beats dumping hay, or should i say money to them everyday. Right now we are feeding 12lb. wet distillers, 10lbs corn silage, and 5lbs ground stalks. Have feed the wet at as much as 15 or 16 lbs.